BHX-JER-BHX

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Took a trip to Jersey from BHX with flyBE on Monday. The purpose was to spend the day with a friend who lives on Jersey and to see the Liberation Day Celebrations. Apologies in advance for the dearth of photographs.

BE501 was my flight down, scheduled to leave at 0715 we didn't board till 0745 and take off was 0755. A bit of a palaver having to catch the bus out to the remore stand on which was parked my chariot, Bae 146, G-JEAY. Boarding was carried out quickly and the safety demonstration was carried out while taxying out to 33. At one point we were number 4 behind what seemed to be half the flyBE fleet, including a 737. The acceleration seemed very powerful despite what others have said about the "glider with five APU's." airborne quickly we looked down on an SN 146 which was just taxying in after landing. The northerly departure meant a 180 degree turn to get us headed down south for Oxford, Southampton and the Channel Islands.

I now understand what was meant about the severity of the flap whine, and being seated in 10F meant I was right over the main undercarriage which does retract with a good solid thump. Flight was very pleasant in clear weather. I like the seating and the legroom which seemed much more generous than Thomson's 737's. However, I'm not sure I liked the high wing of the 146. Somehow seemed to make the aircraft unbalanced. The descent saw lovely views on the approach and a lovely smooth landing just five minutes late.

Had a really good day on Jersey visiting Memorials etc. HMQ arrived in a three engined Falcon which I think was registered G-DAEX. This aircraft had a large bullet fairing on the fin which I assume was RWR.

The return flight was one hour and twenty minutes late due to an unscheduled crew change on Guernsey and the fact that the airport at Guernsey was closed for a short time while aircraft operated from there for a small airshow. Boarding was again very quick and efficient and the aircraft was soon in the air and climbing hard to our cruise level of FL250. This time I was in 17F which was near the rear of the aircraft. About twenty minutes out of BHX we began the descent and went through several cloud layers. Consequently the descent was very bumpy. We also were either in a hold at some point or were making track deviations to avoid pockets of weather. I think it was the latter. The remainder of the descent was fine and we landed on 33 after a forty two minute flight.

Overall, I enjoyed the flights and at £61.00 return was good value.

Just the three photos, taken on the outward journey. Was too tired to bother on the return.

Regards,

kev35

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

A very nice read Kev, grand report! :)

At one point we were number 4 behind what seemed to be half the flyBE fleet, including a 737.

It does seem like that sometimes lol :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

Excellent report mate, i love flybe and JER ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

I flew on both ARJ and 146 types last year.... Tell me about those flaps. Scared my 3 year old senseless!!!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Excellent report and shots Kev :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Great report Kev, I love to read about flights from BHX.

A bit of useless information for you - the SN 146 would be flight SN2037 just arriving from Brussels, from the times you have given.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Nice report

Member for

21 years

Great report Kev, I am a big fan of the FlyBe 146 myself, as long as it isn't the exact same one every time! I wasn't aware the queen used G-DAEX, makes you wonder why we pay for a fleet of HS125s and BAe 146s for her to use :confused:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks for the comments.

Perhaps the pilots might be able to clear up a query for me? Is it true that the 146 when descending maintains a significant nose down attitude right up until the flare? This appeared to be the case for both landings unless it's some kind of optical illusion.
Also, the aircraft seemed to judder slightly every time we slowed down. I hadn't noticed this with the 737?

Finally, as the landings were smoother than those experienced on board the 737, is the landing speed of the 146 slower, or is it because the aircraft is lighter?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

21 years

Thanks for the comments.

Perhaps the pilots might be able to clear up a query for me? Is it true that the 146 when descending maintains a significant nose down attitude right up until the flare? This appeared to be the case for both landings unless it's some kind of optical illusion.
Also, the aircraft seemed to judder slightly every time we slowed down. I hadn't noticed this with the 737?

Finally, as the landings were smoother than those experienced on board the 737, is the landing speed of the 146 slower, or is it because the aircraft is lighter?

Regards,

kev35

Not really a pilot, but having flown in the 146, and watched it land far too mant times:

a) Yes, it does have a significant nose down approach, sometimes more than others, but usualy more noticeable from watching outside rather than in.

b) I dont find that they always judder when they slow, however when the rear airbrake is extended, there is a noticeable pull, which on some of the older aircraft can make the airframe judder a bit.

c) A 146 lands at about 100kts, a 737 at about 130kts (very general averages there I know!) which will make the landing smoother. Its usualy just down to the ability of the landing pilot to pull off a greaser though ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Great report Kev, I am a big fan of the FlyBe 146 myself, as long as it isn't the exact same one every time! I wasn't aware the queen used G-DAEX, makes you wonder why we pay for a fleet of HS125s and BAe 146s for her to use :confused:

Didnt Andrew have the 146 in Finland direction

Member for

18 years 11 months

Great report there, but when do you ever find 4 in the queue for departure at BHX!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Great report there, but when do you ever find 4 in the queue for departure at BHX!

I was in one last November. There was a British Airways 146 going to Paris, a Flybe 146 going somewhere, my SN Brussels A319, behind us there was a little ERJ of City Airline and behind that a Flybe Dash 8.

Member for

21 years

Didnt Andrew have the 146 in Finland direction

Which is why we provide them with 2 146s, and 6 HS125s !!!

Member for

20 years 11 months

[QUOTE=Mark L
c) A 146 lands at about 100kts, a 737 at about 130kts (very general averages there I know!) which will make the landing smoother. Its usualy just down to the ability of the landing pilot to pull off a greaser though ;)[/QUOTE]

The landing speed for a Bae 146 is 195 km/h, and the 737 is 205-283 km/h

Member for

19 years 8 months

Nice report Kevin. Interesting to read about your experiences on flybe. as I will be flying with them in a few weeks time. :)

Yeah your right the 146/RJ series approaches nose down on most approaches. That "judder" like Mark said was just the extension of the airbrake to increase the rate of descent. Most BAe 146/RJ pilots say that its easier to pull of a "greaser" on those aircraft.

The BAe 146/RJ are not the best aircraft to fly on if your scared of flying, with all the different noises going on! :D

Regards
Flex 35