EDI-PMI Globespan

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Right chaps and girls!! I am not as technical as all of you "complete anoraks" as I am affectionately known in the office so here goes.

Left EDI 7.50 on 23rd June at 08.05 15 minutes late. Were on board the Czech Travel Service 737-400 OK-VTR.. I think. On walking to gate 3 at Edinburgh my first impression was that it was rather tired looking. Was the same inside, ashtrays taped up with that silver coloured sticky tape and generally looking as though it needed a good clean. Aircraft was about 20 short of capacity. Took off West and south over Liverpool down towards Cardiff and right over the top of Heathrow. Tremendous view from 6 miles up of planes taking off. Pretty boring the rest of the way down the spine of France very smooth but over Alcudia we had to circle for 10 minutes because at PMI they were calibrating the runway? What the heck does this mean?
15 minutes later we were on the ground 2 hours 40 minutes after leaving EDI.
Pilot and co pilot were Czech, Globespan staff served the drinks and Czech staff did the safety bits. I asked one of the Globespan girls why this was and they said that they do not yet have their safety licenses.
Returned Monday 4th July departed 13.20 local time on G-ODJA, much cleaner with leather seats but 60 short of capacity.
Took off South and immediately banked to the east and flew North over Alcudia again towards Menorca. At this point I noticed another plane heading into Majorca and this is when you really get an idea of the speed of aircraft.
Got a bit bumpy over France for about 10 minutes but by the time we flew over CDG it was all calm again.
Landed from the West at EDI which is a complete pain in the neck as I live underneath the flightpath 8 miles from EDI when landing from the East. My last three flights have all landed into the East!.
Spoke to the Globespan crew about the Czech airline and they have been told not to speak about it!
The titles look as though they have just been stuck on in a hurry but the Czech Travel Service badge is still on the tail.
Three planes working out of EDI now including one leased from Channel Express.
So thats the holidays over for this year soon to be a distant memory.
Any one any idea how long the Czech plane is leased for?

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Nice report! :)
Your outbound aircraft reg was OK-TVR, with G-OTDA inbound, little correction, just incase you care. ;) Your impressions of the B734 are shared with many others I have read.
Flyglobespan aircraft based at EDI just now are 3 B733s (2 operated by Channex), the B734 and a B736. The B734 meant to be going at the end of the summer season when it's lease expires.

Member for

19 years

Thanks for that.. my eyesight isnt that good eh! :D

Member for

19 years 5 months

Nice report