BY312A/B LGW-MBJ 27/07/04 (sorry no pics)

Profile picture for user G-CDFF

Member for

14 years 1 month

This is my first trip report so I hope you all enjoy it (sorry the flight was so long ago, and I can't remember every single detail about it. I also never took any photos :( ) Anyway, here it is, BY312A LGW-MBJ 27/07/04 G-OBYJ Boeing 767-300(I think) We left our house at 3 o'clock for our 10 am departure at Gatwick. We were going off to Jamaica for two weeks :) , so I was really looking forward to it (even though the flight ahead of us was 10 hours :( ) We took our car to an out of airport car park and got tranfered to the South Terminal. By now the time was about half 6 in the morning, and we were checked in within around 15 minutes or so. We then went through to departures or Gatwick Village (sorry cant remember which :o , probably GV) and had breakfast, I also had an apple and some biscuits which I packed as I can't eat at 2 in the morning. When we were in the departure lounge I went into WHSmith and bought a magazine and read it in the departure lounge (after all I couldn't find any viewing spots :( ) At about 9:15 we were called to our Gate (which was 25) and we had a long walk there, but I saw lots of planes like CO777s, TCX752s/320s, XLA757s and an EUK742 (for Hraklion) and MON300 which were parked next to us. When we got to the gate I realised our plane was in the old livery :( I was hoping for a new one as I have flown BY many times before. Just before boarding I sat and watched various aircraft including AF146. When we boarded I took my seat (42A I think) and watched planes taxi including BY752s, VS744s, NWDC10s and a LOT 737. We had a short taxi to RWY26L and saw some TS310s at their gates. We ttok off and headed towards Jamaica, for a very uneventful flight. I thought the service was OK, but nothing like Britannia when i flew them when I was little back in the 90s, you didnt have to pay £3 for headphones then :D . After 8 and a half hours or so, we flew over the Dom. Rep. and an airport on the north coast, probably POP. Upon arrival at Jamaica, we flew along the north coast and turned for arrival on RWY07. We did a spectacular beach skimming landing :eek: , followed by a very hard landing around the piano keys, but the pilot stopped with loads of runway to spare! One other thing I noticed was that on my FS, at MBJ there is a great big hill with turquoise water running down it, but its not really there LOL! We taxied to Gate 10 and an AA300 was pushing back at the gate next to us. Inside the Terminal we were greeted by the very friendly Jamaicans :) Overall On time 10/10 :D Service7/10 :) Fly them again? - Probably not for long haul
Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

Heres the return BY312B MBJ-LGW 10/08/04 G-OBYI Boeing 767-300 After a wonderful holiday in Jamaica, it was time to go home :mad: . At my hotel I had seen some planes from MBJ, mostly JMs but also the BY home as soon as we got there :D . The bu our hotel at 1 o'clock for our 15:35 departure to Gatwick. MBJ isn't the best airport and the queues (is that how you spell it :o ) for check in were quite long, but not too bad. After check in we went up to the gates and I saw our plane in the new colours :D and I didn't take a picture as when we went to Antigua, photography was banned :mad: . We boarded on time and I had seat 6F, not a window :( but at least they were the special needs seets so we got more legroom without paying extra :D . We departed and MBJ was quite busy with AA, US and NW aircraft on the ground, along with JM 320s, 321s and Dash 8s. We flew out and towards Cuba and the Bahamas and a couple of hours after departure it got dark. I couldn't sleep as I don't seem to be able to on planes, don't know why :confused: . After they served breakfast it got light, and I heard this lady saying she could see spme thunderstorms to the right of the aircraft, probably off the coast of northern France somewhere. We flew over the Isle of Wight and it was a bit fogy, like it was when we were on the M25 on the way to the airport. We landed on RWY08R, although the other aircraft were using RWY26L, but it was only 6:30 in the morning and it didn't seem that busy. On the ground I saw a TCY 742 and my first sighting of an EZY319 :D . We parked at the gate and walked a long way to customs and I saw around 5 or 6 EZYs 319s :D . I think they look very smart. And that was it really Overall On time 10/10 :D Service 7/10 :) Fly them again - not on long-haul ALso in the car park just outside the airport I saw an AA777 nad a DL777 on approach, and I swear I saw a DLMD11 on the outbound journey, but it was probably just a 767 or something like that. Thanks for reading! G-CDFF
Profile picture for user T5

Member for

19 years 9 months

Nice report. I flew G-OBYI a few years back when it was in the Britannia colours. My flights to/from Montego Bay were with Airtours on the A330-200 out and the 767-300 (the same one that is now with Monarch). I hate airlines who think they can charge passengers extra for a seat with a few extra inches of legroom!!

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks for the comments T5. It was G-OBYJ on the way out, I thought it could have been G-OBYK, but it doesn't exist. LOL! I also missed out that on the way back I saw the TAP Euro 2004 special colour scheme aircraft (CS-TTJ) at Gatwick :D G-CDFF