CO 735 (BGM-EWR)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

Afternoon folks! Time for the next report, this time the journey back to rainy MAN.

Origin: Austin Bergstrom Int. (Texas)
Destination: Newark Int. (New Jersey)
Airline: Continental
Aircraft: Boeing 737-500
Seat: 17A
Date: 8th August 2006
ETD: 06:30 (Actual 06:40)
ETA: 11:10 (Actual 11:05)

After a wonderful visit to first of all North Carolina for a football tournament, then a scenic drive back down to Texas (1400 miles :eek: ), then an eventful and exciting stay in Austin, it was time to head home. I was quite looking forward to going home as 3 weeks had been enough for me.

We woke up at 4:00am after a short but uninterrupted sleep, and packed the last essentials into the cases. At around 4:45, we set off to BSM airport, which was about a 30 minute drive from where we were staying in northern Austin. The sky was still pitch black when we arrived, and we said our goodbyes to the relatives and headed into BSM's smart terminal. We checked in on the self check-in machines, and were assisted by a polite CO worker as we had to check in for all our flights back, and get the luggage tagged correctly. After this, we walked over to security and we were quickly through to departures. Boarding was to commence at 5:55am.

After around half an hours waiting, we were ready to board, and we were included in the priority boarding due to us being under 16. Once again, the aircraft was very clean and tidy, all respect due to CO!:D We took our seats, 17A and 17B and received pillows and blankets, which was good for an internal flight. The captain started the engines and we were soon pushed back from gate 22. Alongside us there were a few CO EMB-145Xpress Jets and a US 735. We began our taxi to the runway and passed the main part of BSM's terminal, where I got my first sight of an EMB-190(Jetblue) :cool: .

We approached the threshold and were cleared to take-off as there was no traffic or other planes departing ahead of us. The captain lined us up and spooled up the engines. The take-off role was quite long for a 735, and we used up the majority of the runway. The cloud base was quite low due to it being early morning, but we were soon above them and were welcomed by the sight of the rising sun. We were soon cruising at 34,000ft, flying over the mid-states of America. Below us there was just forests and baron land, with the odd town/city scattered around. The on-board service commenced, and the cabin crew handed out warm cheese paninis and a little tub of Cheerio's with a carton of milk. As I tugged away at the milk, it decided to spill all over my top and trousers, causing a few people around to laugh. Typical! :rolleyes: .

After around 2 and a half hours cruising time, we started our initial approach into EWR. The weather was beautiful, no clouds in the sky and the sun was glistening! Lots of other traffic was buzzing about us as we started final approach, presumably taking off from EWR/LGA/JFK. There were 2 airports that we flew over.. I'll include pictures at the bottom because I don't know their identification. Our approach was different to the approach when we came in from MAN, the wind direction had varied since then so we were on approach at the opposite end. We soon touched down, rather heavily, and the captain selected to enable the spoilers. We exited the runway at high speed due to many other aircraft on short final. As we taxied to Terminal C, we held short at the runway to allow a Katilla 742/743 to blast off from the parellel runway. It rotated right in line with us with vapour in its jets. What an incredible sight! We resumed the taxi and quickly arrived at the gate, among other CO 737's. After 5 minutes waiting for the airbridge to connect, we disembarked the aircraft and headed into Terminal C. It was now time for a treck over to Terminal B, then 7 hours of spotting waiting for our AF flight to Paris :diablo: .

Overall, brilliant flight and I was impressed again by CO's aircraft and service.

Thanks for reading, comments will be muchly appreciated:D

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

Excellent report with some good pics young man

Member for

20 years 8 months

Agree with Steve, nice indeed mate :D

Member for

18 years 4 months

Thanks for the comments guys! I am by no means a photographer so excuse the poor quality pictures:D Will be doing AF019 EWR-CDG when I get the time, which should be soon enough. Thanks again.

Member for

17 years 5 months

thats awesome. i recently just flew on a 735 from EWR-DEN. it was a bit long for an aircraft that had no entertainment (4hs, 33 min), ha and the poor kid infrot of me asked the steward if there was going to be a movie, to which he replied with a sad no.
anyway well done!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Nice report and pictures. Also glad you liked the service. I checked my logbook and I was flying into EWR about the time of your arrival but I wasn't flying the ERJ you have in your picture. That would have been a nice coincidence. :)