Ryanair: cheap but...not cheerful... and safety?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Seems like the usual opinion of Ryanair and politics to me. There's plenty of this no doubt over on PPRuNe ;)

KRJ - which airline are you a CSM for?

Member for

18 years 1 month

I appreciate the situation you found yourself in with this flight,unfortunately without the exact date/times/IAA notice dates,it would be very difficult to comment on the exact nature of the communication between the flight crew & engineers.

All i will say is that if the engineers are notified of a problem(which in some cases isnt always the case),they have no problem in sitting an aircraft down & delaying up to 189 pax + knock ons.All we are concerned about is safety.

With this is particular case,perhaps there was a communication issue with the crew.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I appreciate the situation you found yourself in with this flight,unfortunately without the exact date/times/IAA notice dates,it would be very difficult to comment on the exact nature of the communication between the flight crew & engineers.

All i will say is that if the engineers are notified of a problem(which in some cases isnt always the case),they have no problem in sitting an aircraft down & delaying up to 189 pax + knock ons.All we are concerned about is safety.

With this is particular case,perhaps there was a communication issue with the crew.

Gary O, do you work for FR? I don’t understand how supplying you with such information will assist you in finding possibly restricted information, such as a report into what communication was made between the Senior Cabin member, Flight Deck crew and their OPS Centre (including maintenance team/s).

As the Senior Cabin Crew member said to me (he is a friend) he had reported the issue to the Captain, the Captain reported the issue and they were told to continue with the flight (which by the way had already been delayed by 4 hours) by their OPS department. I can’t confirm if the engineers were informed, but, locally FR don’t have any of their own at EGHH (they use an external company).

The point stands the aircraft should have either not left the ramp with such an InOp issue, or have off loaded a certain amount of PAX.

I do think you are right, there could have been a communication issue, but I don’t think it’s between the crew, I think the issue stands between the crew and FR’s OPS/maintenance department, something our pilot’s seem to chat about quite a lot.

In reply to Blue Robin:

I work for Virgin Atlantic on our Airbus A343, A346 & Boeing 744. I am also currently training on the A380’s (ready for her introduction).

Kimberly Richmond-Jones
Cabin Service Manager

Member for

18 years 1 month

Hello Kimberly,

I agree with your point with the lack of communication between the crew & ops/maintenance,i should have made that clear in my reply above,and yes i work in ryanair maintenance control.I'd would hope that the crew know better to ring maintrol rather than ops with a tech issue!:eek: :rolleyes:,and the info would allow me to look further into the situation.

Not having are own engineers on site isnt a problem,we have an extensive list of local contacts that we can use(other airlines for example).

on a side note glad to hear the A380 training is going ahead,lot of rumours about VS cancelling the A380 order;)

Member for

16 years 3 months

Hello Kimberly,

I agree with your point with the lack of communication between the crew & ops/maintenance,i should have made that clear in my reply above,and yes i work in ryanair maintenance control.I'd would hope that the crew know better to ring maintrol rather than ops with a tech issue!:eek: :rolleyes:,and the info would allow me to look further into the situation.

Not having are own engineers on site isnt a problem,we have an extensive list of local contacts that we can use(other airlines for example).

on a side note glad to hear the A380 training is going ahead,lot of rumours about VS cancelling the A380 order;)

I would not worry about VS and any gossip about our Airbus A380's - while we have had issues with Airbus, we remain greatly happy with the A380 idea as a whole. (gosh Im great at sitting on the fence)

Kimberly Richmond-Jones

Member for

24 years 2 months

As the Senior Cabin Crew member said to me (he is a friend) he had reported the issue to the Captain, the Captain reported the issue and they were told to continue with the flight (which by the way had already been delayed by 4 hours) by their OPS department. I can’t confirm if the engineers were informed, but, locally FR don’t have any of their own at EGHH (they use an external company).

I thought the Captain was the responsible person? If it was unsafe/in breach of regs to fly without offloading pax, why did the Capt not offload pax??

Surely this is a case where Ops need to be in the loop, but the actual discretion lies with the Capt.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, all international connections in my tiny airport, are carried by Ryanair, except the CDG one by Vueling, so I have to use the airline quite frecuently. All the times I flew them, they gave the announcements in English and Spanish, or English Spanish and Italian in the case of the Ciampino one, or English, Spanish German in the Hahn one.

In all the flights they had local flight attendants to help with any language problem. Even in the domestic connection to Valencia, most flight attendants are Spanish, or have a good level of the language involved.

What I have percieved about the airline, is that approaches and landing are too quick sometimes. I wonder if it has to do with the hassle of the 25 minutes stopover.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Gary O, do you work for FR? I don’t understand how supplying you with such information will assist you in finding possibly restricted information, such as a report into what communication was made between the Senior Cabin member, Flight Deck crew and their OPS Centre (including maintenance team/s).

Agreed. Not possible

The toilets are fitted with a smoke detector, therefore the question is: the device was in working order?:dev2:

It should be working, but maybe, just possibly it may not have been, as crew, we're trained to check this when reporting on duty (our PDI - Pre-Departure Inspections) so it should very well have been working

D.Gould, PIK based crew

(Btw, FR7846 and FR7342 are both operated by PIK based crew)