FSX

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 3 months

I havent seen this mentioned so thought i would start the thread about it, who has used FSX and what do you think i am using it currently

Original post

I started with FSX and was quite happy with some of the features. The A.I. aircraft start and end at a parking bay and are fairly well disciplined. Most airports have some scenery and the only payware I invested in was a Bell UH1 helicopter. Roads are not well represented, at least in the default software. FSX worked well on my computer when it was new and relatively uncluttered. It now no longer performs as it used to, the frame rate has dropped so low I don't play it anymore. The problem, according to a review I read, was that Microsoft didn't exploit the CPU correctly, and they have since abandoned it, so that will never change now. I got into X-plane a while back. It has no problems with CPU exploitation. I even learned to create scenery and have done up some of the airports in South Africa, as only a handful of airports come with scenery. The rest you can get as freeware or payware, or do it yourself. You can see my scenery enhancements in another thread in this section. roads, railway lines and powerlines are derived from Open Street Maps and are therefore accurate to reality. Laminar Research release updates for the main program all the time. They have a 64 bit version now. I don't like the A.I. aircraft behavior though, as they start at a point on the airport and sometimes do weird things like taxi over each other, crash and so on.

cheers
Ralph

This is a building I modelled in the correct place in reality. It is the building in which I grew up. In the background is the Moses Mabhida stadium, in Durban. I modelled both with Sketch Up.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u375/Raffles-/X%20Plane%2010%20-%202/Jetranger_1_zpscdab7c2b.png

Member for

10 years 3 months

Tsnkd for the reply but i dont play for lookd i play to fly

The flight characteristics of the Boeing 737-800 and the Bell Jetranger are not too realistic in FSX. Other simulators too. They don't match the real thing. They are OK for procedures (NDB, VOR or ILS approaches).

Member for

10 years 3 months

The flight characteristics of the Boeing 737-800 and the Bell Jetranger are not too realistic in FSX. Other simulators too. They don't match the real thing. They are OK for procedures (NDB, VOR or ILS approaches).

i couldnt agree more really to be honest i was slightly dissapointed with it when i got it last year but it is a fun little sim and i do still use it and it runs well