Ace Combat 5

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

yeah, like the other simulators are that real, at least this one looks pretty damn good. So what's your thoughts and memories with this shooter

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Heh. This is the only reason I still have a PS2, being able to play Ace Combat 4 and 5. :D 5 is pretty good, I like how the cockpits are accurately modeled, as well as the aircraft and missiles (even if performances are a little arcaded).

Member for

20 years 7 months

I have it, but haven't played it much, but the graphics are very nice, and the cockpits look very accurate. Love being able to search the sky from the cockpit view! :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

hehe so is this it..

OSEA = US
Yuktobania = Russia
Belka = Nazi Germany :p

It doesn't help that Belka has German style castles on their territory and the Prime Minister of Yuktobania speaks with a Russian accent :cool:

I've got to admit, while the story shows where it is obviously influenced.. it is much better than the stories of all the other Ace Combats

Member for

24 years 2 months

The storyline was a bit more thought out this time as compared to AC 04. They need to ditch Sony and come over to XBox for AC 06 and make a truly badass game.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ace Combat 4 was great and 5 is even better! i'm playing it again right now in Ace mode :D ;), i like the way your can give some commands to your squadron. Great scenery as always and great aircraft!

Do you guys have any preferance of aircraft? i like the whole squadron to have the same aircraft so i usually have four F-35C's for the more air to ground missions and the F/A-22A's for the more air to air missions.

That's not to say i don't like mix and matching, i also mainly use the F-14A, MIG-31, MIG-1.44, the Hawk is also quite a nippy little aircraft :D BTW keep it on the PS2!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Do you guys have any preferance of aircraft? i like the whole squadron to have the same aircraft so i usually have four F-35C's for the more air to ground missions and the F/A-22A's for the more air to air missions.

That's not to say i don't like mix and matching, i also mainly use the F-14A, MIG-31, MIG-1.44, the Hawk is also quite a nippy little aircraft :D BTW keep it on the PS2!

That's a real tough one because there's soo much aircraft to choose from that I can't stick to just one, knowing that there's so many to choose from. It's only in those naval carrier stages do they limit some of your choices.. Which of course I choose usually two Rafales and two F-14s.

Other aircraft that I seem to use more often than others..
MiG-21 93 (pretty powerful for such a low end aircraft, but it's 2nd armament sucks)
MiG-31 for air to air missions
Rafale for anti ship missions
F-16b60 for missions that require both
and the X-02

aircraft I really hated
Gripen - I like the aircraft, but they gave it such shoddy secondary weapons.. those rockets! out of all the real life armaments the Gripen can use, they chose that.

anything with the "stronger missile" thing.. basically a missile that does twice as much damage.

Tornado ECR.. nuff said

Member for

24 years 2 months

Such a shame no one is using Phantoms......for any air-to-ground missions I'll stick with the F-4G. Those LASM's (i.e. AGM-88 HARM's) are simply devastating against ground and sea targets. She's fast and stable, just how the Phantom should be. Ground attack is simply was the G was born to do.

As for air-to-air combat I obviously prefer the F-4X and her XMAA's (AIM-120 AMRAAM's)..........finally an Ace Combat game that treats the F-4 right......a secondary weapon that's for air-to-air use. She's the most agile of all the Phantom models, and boy is she fast! Shot down so many F-16's and MiG-29's that I've lost count. :)

The F-4E is also fun if you know how to use napalm correctly although it does take practice.

I also find the Hawk to be a fun plane. She's a superb dogfighter, and she looks great in the Special Paint Scheme! I also rather enjoy using the Prowler. I think they had me in mind when they incoporated the three jammer planes in the game because in every flight combat game I own, I have a bad problem with target fixation. I often ignore everything around me to take out a target, and the jammer has saved me from getting a missile up the tailpipe quite a number of times. Sure it's not a destructive secondary weapon, but I find it to be a nice change up, and I just love the way the Prowler flies. If I have to pick another plane it would have to be the F-35C.

Seeing as I have a GameCube and a PS2 (and when the next generation consoles come out I will again go for Nintendo and probably Sony), and not an Xbox, I say the Ace Combat games don't need to leave the Sony consoles. Putting them on Xbox would really irritate me.

Member for

20 years 7 months

****, I really need to get into this game - and it's sitting collecting dust! :eek:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Collecting dust? What's wrong with you, man? :D

Anyway, my favorite aircraft vary from mission to mission. FOr the one where you have to take out all the pillboxes while your tanks are advancing, the MiG 1.44 is very amusing since the gigantoid bombs (bombs? WTF?) can blow up many targets at once. Anything air combat I usually stick with the MiG-31M or YF-23. Enemy pilots are so retarded...lock onto four of them head-on at extreme range with the FOXHOUND-B and they'll fly right into your missiles :rolleyes:

I also had fun taking the time to get every single plane in the game.

As for some aircraft (MiG 1.44, Gripen) having retarded second weapon choices, what they should have done was what they did in AC 04-you could buy different secondary weapons for different aircraft.

Another reason to move to XBox-they can include more of the features AC 04 had but AC 05 lacked. How? Make it a two-disc thing. One disc has stuff that downloads to your hard drive, the other runs the game, just like a PC game. Plus they could smooth out a lot of the textures and get a smarter AI going for the bad guys.

Member for

20 years 8 months

To be honest i if in Ace mode it is alot easier to die from some AI ground/air units. When your fighting the "Hrimfaxi" (spelling?) submarine i did get shot down a couple of times from the AA guns and you do get targeted onto more by air badguys.

I just wish the enemy were a hell of a lot smarter, would make it very interesting!

Member for

20 years 6 months

anyone beat the Arcade mode? supposedly the land of Mobius from AC4 is in AC5 as well.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I beat Arcade mode on all four tracks. Pretty fun, and yeah, you play as Mobius 1 again. When you beat it you can fly the Mobius 1 colored F-22 in the rest of the game.