"Blinking" FS9

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Wonder if anyone can help...
My PC has "Onboard" video, this was lacking in performance to successfully run FS9, so I decided to install a plug in card. The only real option I had was a FX5200 128MB "PCI" (NO AGP slot, you see!).
The card is more than acceptable for almost everything I do, but for one problem. When running FS9 the screen "Blinks" at me for around a dozen times, every time I select a new menu/screen. This makes using the "Map" or "Kneeboard" etc almost impossible (Or at least very annoying!). It also takes a good few minutes to even select an aircraft from the "Create flight" screen. Once on the end of the runway, and the screen has stopped "Blinking" (Around a minute, or so), then the game runs fine, so long as you dont try and use the... Map/Kneeboard etc.
I have tried adjusting the screen res' etc, but to No avail. Even "Googled" the problem, and found some info' on screen/monitor refresh rates, had a fiddle but still not any better.
I've forgotten my Simviation forum password, so can't ask there. I also appologise if this subject has been discussed before, I searched the site but couldn't find anything, so decided to ask myself.

Many Thanks in advance for reading.

Mark.

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Mark

Have you firstly tried moving all the sliders in the Graphics settings to the left to give you maximum performance and the worse possible display? also what resolution is your FS set to run at? try lowering this to 800 x 600 to start.
Have you any more system info for us? i.e. processor speed & RAM

Rgds

Dean

Member for

19 years 2 months

Sounds like your system is at the bottom end performance wise to run FS9 I'm afraid but there are a number of things you can do :

First make sure you have your system optimised for FS. This means not running other programs in the background. Defragment your hard drive regularly and make sure you're virus and spyware free. These few tips apply to anything, not just FS so I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs ! :p

Next make sure you have the latest video drivers for your new card (www.nvidia.com) Go into the graphics settings (Right click on the desktop - Properties, then click the Settings tab on the far right) Experiment with the Antialiasing settings to start with, I have a feeling this might be related to your problem.

The other thing you can do of course is experiment with the Display settings in FS. Again at risk of teaching you to suck eggs only change one thing at a time and see what effect if any it has.

I hope this helps, if not try a dedicated FS forum such as those at simflight.com, someone there is sure to help !

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

[QUOTE='lectra]
First make sure you have your system optimised for FS. This means not running other programs in the background.
Bruce[/QUOTE]

A useful tool for switching off the programs that run in the background is called "End It All"

A copy can be dowloaded HERE

I didn't get my copy from this site so it is your responsibility to check this particular download for malware.

Moggy

Member for

18 years 10 months

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have experimented with most of your suggestions. Originally thought problem was the "Different" screen resolutions between desktop and FS9, so made sure that both were set the same (Currently 800 x 600 32 bit). Have also experimented with the monitor refresh rates (Currently 60 Hz).

Bruce I suspect you are probably correct when you say my system is at the "Lower" end of the spec for FS9. (1.8Ghz, 512MB, 128MB FX5200 PCI). Originally it wasn't purchased with FS in mind, so I shouldn't really complain. The fact that it runs at a reasonable speed at all, is a bonus I s'posse.

Like I said, it runs perfectly OK, once it has "Settled". Incidentally, I didn't have the problem with the "OnBoard" video, it's only since I installed the Nvidia card :confused: And FS is the ONLY application I have that does it. I can run "Brothers in Arms - Road to Hill 30" OK, and that's a very "graphics hungry" program.

Once again, Thanks for your suggestions.

Mark.

Member for

20 years 9 months

your system is not at the 'lower end' of the spectrum. that is a perfectly capable machine for FS9, so don't worry about your machine not being powerful enough - although your machine won't provide 'top' performance.

make sure that the onboard graphics chip is properly disabled - im not sure how to do it - probably done in the BIOS.

as others have said, im sorry if that tries to teach you to suck eggs -
thats all i can offer.

if you're willing, try an FS9 reinstall - that sorted all my problems out. also, check in the FS read me blurb that there isn't a compatability problem with FS and your card. also, see if downloading the FS9 microsoft update from their website does anything - its a large file though.

hope that helps

Member for

19 years 9 months

This problem is -more often than not- actually sound related... Usually happening to people with certain types of onboard sound cards.

Try this:

Start > Run , and type 'dxdiag' into the box

Click the sound tab

Then turn the hardware sound acceleration level down to 'basic acceleration.

Hope That helps,
David.