http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx_thumbs.html

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good spot Dean. Thanks!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wow.. there's a surprise! :eek:

I think that FS2004 really was "as real as it gets", so FS2006 or FSX as they are calling it, looks to have only some very subtle differences, but I'll still be buying a copy nonetheless! :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Looking good!

Member for

18 years 3 months

Not bad, not bad.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The ground scenery looks quite amazing, it'll kill frame rates!

Looks like my PC won't be handlling that!

Member for

20 years 8 months

pfff.

utter rubbish. i want my money back...in advance...before i've even bought it. :p ;) :D :rolleyes:

No, the previews look incredible. i can't wait for it to be released

Better start saving up for that super computer though.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yeah, do you reckon they may well have limited the discs to 4?

Member for

18 years 3 months

May well be 4 disks...

Also, by the limited screen shots they have published, I think they are keeping something secret, a big feature that they have kept quiet :diablo: .

They do it every year... any guesses on what it could be? Maybe they did decide to implement that idea from post in a previous topic of 'flying animals' after all .... :D :p

Martyn.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Maybe a yet wider selection of aircraft? they did drop the Sopwith Camel from FS2004 so maybe they are bringing in some more. I too believe we have much more too see.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Maybe a yet wider selection of aircraft? they did drop the Sopwith Camel from FS2004 so maybe they are bringing in some more. I too believe we have much more too see.

Yeah but you can download practically any aircraft freeware from avsim. New aircraft would hardly be a major thing given the quality of the default ones is never that great anyway.

Member for

18 years 9 months

according to the FAQs it will ONLY be on DVD . . . . .

Looks good doesn't it?

Member for

20 years 7 months

It is going to be a DVD version, with the enhanced terrain mesh who knows how many, I'd say 2 max

Member for

18 years 8 months

There's some real demo coverage of the game in Bill Gate's Keynote speech at the opening of this years CES in the US

The webcast can be viewed here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

The FS video is at around 29 minutes in !!!

Looks good, but to quote "We have about another year of programming to get it right" so we may have a bit of a wait on out hands!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well that footage was very impressive but there is no way round it that by the look of it you'll need a VERY high spec PC. The footage shown seems more similer to a game like the Sims than FS but the point was showing how great it looks and boy did it! :D

As tmurphy said with a little bit over a year's worth of programming to get it right looks like we're expecting it the start of 2007! I hope they keep us upto date on how it's progressing with new footage etc etc.

Anyway I'll have to watch the rest of that tommorow as I skipped right to the FS bit! thanks for the link tmurphy :cool: :)

Member for

18 years 8 months

FSX looks absolutely stunning! Even better than FS2004!!

I think my PC can't handle it :(

Member for

18 years 9 months

So how much RAM do you think a game like this would need?

Member for

20 years 8 months

So how much RAM do you think a game like this would need?

too much - atleast to make the game really worthwhile playing, and at the top level of detail. although, mr bill 'too much money' gates has said that the game will be designed for all types of computer

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi guys Microsoft have updated the Flight sim website. There is some info on the new FSX well (FS2006 To me & You) at http://fsinsider.com/ includes official launch video.

Press Release

Successor to landmark “Flight Simulator” franchise scheduled to land on shelves Holiday 2006

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last night, Microsoft officially unveiled “Flight Simulator X” and provided an exciting first look at the innovative new title. During Microsoft’s keynote, hosted by Chief Software Architect Bill Gates, attendees were given an exclusive sneak peek at the jaw-dropping realism and exciting new content enabled through “Flight Simulator X,” which is scheduled to be available this holiday.

Published by Microsoft Game Studios and developed by ACES studio, “Flight Simulator X” is the 10th addition to the highly successful “Flight Simulator” franchise and is regarded as one of the most popular Windows franchises in history.

“Flight Simulator X” is the culmination of nearly 25 years of the landmark “Flight Simulator” franchise and the most significant addition to date. “Flight Simulator X” will be fully optimized for Windows Vista. “Flight Simulator X” will set the standard for technological innovation, incredible graphics and realism for the genre. “Flight Simulator X” will also present players with a wide array of new aircraft to fly in a beautifully rich and believable world which will contain greater detail than past entries in the franchise. Players will be able to experience what it is like to be a pilot and have real distractions, to shade their eyes from the glare of reflective paint and the glint from glass and chrome. Players will enjoy the opportunity to fly their dream aircraft, from classic seaplanes like the de Havilland Beaver and Grumman Goose to the Cessna 172 there is a plane for every terrain and every player.

“Flight Simulator X” will also enable players to enjoy a connected world through an improved online experience. With more than 24,000 airports located on every continent, players will be able to explore their home town or a favorite far off city.
Under Gates' guidance, Microsoft continues its stronghold as the worldwide leader in consumer electronics through the design of groundbreaking technologies that lead to innovation in every aspect of human endeavor.

Also some FAQ have been added as well.

Q: When will “Microsoft Flight Simulator X” be available?

A: We are working hard to deliver “Flight Simulator X” in the holiday 2006 timeframe.

Q: What’s new in “Microsoft Flight Simulator X”?

A: Many of the new features in “Flight Simulator X” are based on requests from our loyal community who have provided creative input into our decision process. Therefore, we are excited to bring our fans the most revolutionary addition to the “Flight Simulator” franchise yet. We take full advantage of Windows Vista and the latest Windows gaming hardware to create a beautifully rich and immersive 3D world for aviation fans, young and old, to explore and experience. The new enhancements extend beyond the look and feel of the planet—the advances in graphics will benefit the aircraft as well, and fans will be amazed at the new level of detail in the models and the realistic effects like sun glint off the glass and chrome, reflective paint, and even shaded rivets on the fuselage. For the more gameplay-minded, we are adding a new mission-based element to give fans a more objective driven experience with a sense of progression and skill development. We are also improving the multiplayer technology to allow the community to connect in new ways. This is just the beginning and, in the coming months, we look forward to sharing more information about “Flight Simulator X” as we lead up to launch at the end of the year.

Q: Will “Flight Simulator X” require Windows Vista?

A: No. While “Flight Simulator X” will not require Windows Vista, it will be optimized for the latest in Windows gaming hardware and fans will get the best experience by running on Windows Vista.

Q: What type of computer hardware will I need to run “Flight Simulator X”?

A: While we are still determining exact hardware requirements, we do know that it will run on a wide range of configurations because we want to make “Flight Simulator X” accessible to a wide range of fans.

Q: Will “Flight Simulator X” ship on DVD only?

A: Yes, for the first time “Flight Simulator” will ship on DVD only in order to provide the highest level of detail and realism for the product and we do not plan to offer a CD-based version.

Q: Will aircraft from FS2004 be compatible with “Flight Simulator X”?

A: Backward compatibly with existing 3rd party content is and has always been a priority for us, and we attempt to test as many add-ons as possible in order to provide the greatest level of compatibility.

Q: What are the types of aircraft featured in “Flight Simulator X”?

A: We will offer a range of aircraft to support a wide variety of flying experiences and many of the aircraft will be tied to specific mission-based experiences. Our basic fleet is merely the starting point because we are going to make it easier to download additional aircraft created by the many accomplished add-on developers in the community.

Q: How many airports are included in “Flight Simulator X?”

A: We have included more than 24,000 airports in “Flight Simulator X” and the coverage extends to every continent. We also focused a select number of high-detail airports and added a new level of “interactivity” that the add-on community will certainly expand upon.

Q: What new partners or endorsements will “Flight Simulator X” carry?

A: We are not quite ready to shine the spotlight on our new partners and endorsements, but they will be taking center stage in the months leading up to our launch.

Member for

20 years 1 month

I'll buy a copy in the US if its availabe when i'm there, tho it will collect dust, before i know i can use ALL my addons on it no problem!

Member for

19 years 1 month

Well I suppose you'd have to buy a copy just for saying "I fly with FSX", does this mean I need to upgrade my laptop?