2 Questions on Flying

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

First im really enjoying doing the lessons that come with FS2004 the feeling when you nail your first landing brilliant, Just 2 things that im strugling with
the first is the trim, i think i understand the principle behind it if you set it up correctly then its like someone else having hold of the joystick9 but its centred)? I dunno if im been a bit heavy handed when im setting it in FS but i seem either to clim or decend i cant like make it stop at a constant rate, is there anything im doing wrong?
Also is it the VOR Panel again after doing the tutorial I still dont really understand this, do you know of any other tutorials or could some one explane it in a different way to me.
Thanks

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hey Hargi22,

Poor you 3 days without reply! what a miserable bunch! :rolleyes: Anyway the trim problem I used to share with you, on your Cessna panel I think on the right somewhere should be a trim indicator. To fly straight and level, the little bar should be a little underneath centre. The further down the bar is, the steeper you will climb, but if the bar is above center you will descend, further up and the steep your descent will be. Trust me it took me ages to figure it out so you are not alone. Your VOR problem I am sorry but I can't help you with :o . Sure someone will come to your help. Anyone? Well good luck with this unhelpful bunch!!

Regards

AJ

Member for

20 years 7 months

Anyone? Well good luck with this unhelpful bunch!!

Regards

AJ

Do you have to be so patronising? did it ever occur to you some of us have full time jobs and a life away from the keyboard, especially considering the sun has been out? :rolleyes:

Hargi

I will answer your VOR problem when I get home later, I am at work now and have not got access to flight sim to post pictures etc

Dean

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sorry for any offence caused by my comments they were suppsed to be taken as a tougue on cheek comment. Apologies!
AJ

Member for

20 years 7 months

Hey Hargi22,

Anyway the trim problem I used to share with you, on your Cessna panel I think on the right somewhere should be a trim indicator. To fly straight and level, the little bar should be a little underneath centre. The further down the bar is, the steeper you will climb, but if the bar is above center you will descend, further up and the steep your descent will be. Trust me it took me ages to figure it out so you are not alone.
Regards

AJ

Not strictly true, the trim tab is used to relieve the control column of any back or forward pressure ONCE you have set up in your required flight condition, the trim can come in various forms, generally trim tabs as stated, these are small mini elevators on the elevator that direct the airflow accordingly, or you can have an elevator that is the trim tab as well, i.e. the whole elevator moves to trim the aircraft out.
As for the positioning this is all dependant on weight, aircraft configuration, density altitude and speed, a couple of other factors as well, so the "just below centre" position is only specific to one type of flight condition, what you need to do is this, set your power, set your attitude, then trim out the pressure on the control column, this applies in a longish climb as well, set climb power, set climb attitude and trim out the pressure, so remember for straight & level flight, climbs & descents it's P.A.T , power - attitude - trim. For levelling off from a climb you use A.P.T, that's attitude - power - trim, so set level attitude, set power and trim the aircraft.

Hope this helps

Member for

20 years 7 months

Sorry for any offence caused by my comments they were suppsed to be taken as a tougue on cheek comment. Apologies!
AJ

No worries :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

hargi

apologies for the delay in getting the VOR explained, I'll do my best over the weekend ok, just been a tad busy with exams etc