I need some help with Vatsim!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm tearing my hair out over something which I'm sure is very straightforward! Although I've been using Flight Simulator now for a few years, I've never flown online, but decided to give it a go today in order to see what all the fuss is about. From what I can see and hear, it looks like a whole lot of fun, but something is baffling me.

Bearing in mind that I am only familiar with the default ATC in flight simulator, I know that you request IFR clearance from the control tower...

http://www.web-wings.co.uk/vatsim.jpg

...but this shot from Birmingham shows that there is only a frequency for Birmingham Approach and not Birmingham Tower. Earlier, I was at Heathrow and requested clearance from the Biggin Hill Tower. That was embarrassing.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I have filed my flight plan, but I just don't have a clue how to get that clearance and to get on my way!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

You call EGBB_APP for cleareance Mike :)

If there is any ATC of sorts on your field, then give it a call, if not, as in EGLL, don't call EGKB or the nearest field, just announce your intentions on UNICOM which is 122.8

I'm sure i'll see you soon on-line mate!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ahh... Thanks for that! I'm off to give it a go now.

Yippeeeee ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Enjoy it mate, the experience is second to none, don't be nervous, just build up the confidence and you'll be fine!

I've been doing it now for 3 years, and never looked back!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Right-io, my A319 is still sat on the tarmac at Heathrow. I filed a flightplan, but since I am not familiar with SIDS/STARS and putting together proper flight plans, I was told that bits were missing.

Can anyone offer further help? I've got a plane load of passengers wanting to get to Manchester and the flight is already very delayed! :(

Member for

20 years 1 month

Right what add-on you using?

As in real life, you need to comply with real operations, so to fly SID's and STAR's are a must

Can i ask you to head over to http://www.vatsim-uk.org/index.php?page=newpilots
for more info?

flight plans you can get here :- http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/

Get charts from www.ais.org.uk Its free but you need to register :)

It looks like a lot of work, but don't give up mate!!

Member for

18 years 6 months

i started flying online about 3 weeks ago, and its fabulous!! i did EGCC-CYYZ today just landed, had some great ATC!

Jon

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks for the help, Elgan. Thank God I've got 4 weeks before I start my full time job. I think I'm going to need it to get to grips with everything there is to know!

I'm not going to give up though. From what I could see earlier on, it looked like really good fun and the air traffic control is superb.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thats great news mate! As i say there is a lot to learn, everybody has to go thru it, and it took me a while :p

And well done Jon! There is nothing like getting ATC the other side of the FS world either!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Mike,

I know it's a few days since you post, however I think you have my e-mail address on MSN but if you want us to run through it at some point in the daytime drop us an e-mail - i'm on there nearly as much as Elgan and have a fair bit of time on my hands at the present.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks for that... I'll be sure to drop you a message sometime! :)