Il-2: 1946

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Any Il-2 simmers around these parts?

I have Il-2: Forgotten Battles & Pacific Fighters, but I've ordered Il-2: 1946 which includes the original Il-2 as well as the Forgotten Battles & Aces Expansion Pack expansions PLUS Pacific Fighters. It also has all new content and flyable airplanes......229 total!

Anyone have this game and if so what do you think of it?

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

My whole "squadron" has 1946 but we still fly 4.04 in the server and for our Friday night Scorched Earth campaigns.

There are a few servers on hyper lobby that fly the 1946 but I guess it did not sell as well as the makers had wanted.

The extra aircraft are fun but again...not very historical.

I would stick to 4.04 (pacific Fighters) and wait for the makers of IL2 to bring out their version of BoB latter this year...it should be great.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm not a big online guy right now, especially with me just getting back into playing the games so it's not that big a deal to me.

Some of the newer planes like the ones that didn't actually make it into service don't really interest me, but being able to fly aircraft like the Ar-234 and the Bf-110 (which was available in AEP but I never got that expansion) really appeals to me so I already ordered '46 last week. I hope it gets here soon.

I'm sure I'll be able to play it online eventually if I choose to go that right. I just wanted something that combines all these games and expansions into one thing, and thus '46 seemed perfect for me.

P.S. Did I mention I REALLY want to fly that Bf-110?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Yes, the combining of all expansions into one is a great feature of 1946.

I do not enjoy flying against the computer, to me its just too easy.

You can have your -110 :) I really enjoy flying the Pe-2

I wish they would fix the American planes...the P-51 still sucks.

I bought Il-2:1946 for myself for my birthday a few weeks ago.
I think it is excellent, but I only had the original Il-2 without any of the expansions so it was well worth it for me.
It comes on two DVDs, one with the games and expansions and the other with photos and bonus material.

Everything being on the one DVD is very handy.

Member for

17 years 9 months

I'm going to order it this week.

See if I can post this for Phantom II to swot up on...

Member for

24 years 2 months

My copy of '46 came in the mail today and I LOVE IT!

It's pretty much everything I was hoping for as far as flyable airplanes. I'll have to get into the community and see about new terrains/maps and stuff like that, but I'm really loving all of the available aircraft.

The -110 is awesome was I was hoping it would be. So many different armament variations for that thing it is mind-boggling.

As for the newer aircraft that aren't historically as accurate, I think that they are a neat addition....a nice what-if. It's not as if you HAVE to fly them anyways. If you want realism, just keep them out of your missions.

Having the option to fly them is in my opinion good enough anyways.

Now I can do my favorite "what-if" of WWII...the P-80 vs. the Me-262!

Thanks for the attachment Garry.....funny thing is that I didn't see your post until after I had gotten the game and gone through the Plane Guide for a bit. I definitely need to study my -110 instruments though to get familiar with her.

The P-40 is definitely my most flown airplane in the series so aside from its cockpit I'm not as familiar with many others as I am with the Warhawk.

Would be interesting if they make a sequal in the 50s with the next few generations of fighters too... Mig-15s, Yak-25s, Su-7s etc etc. Could end up with a flight sim like the Fighter Anthology except with proper flight models and realistic cockpits...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well the next project that 1C Games is doing is about the Battle of Britain, so I'd expect that another sim for 50's jets would be quite some time off, but I would very much enjoy something like that.

As long as I got my F-80C I'd be happy, but I can think of a TON of planes from that era that would be great to have. I'd prefer to keep them all subsonic or barely transonic at the most.

F-80
F-84
F-86
F-94
FJ Fury
F2H Banshee
F3H Demon
F4D Skyray
MiG-9
MiG-15
MiG-17
Yak-15
La-15
Hunter
Swift
Scimitar
Sea Vixen
Vampire
Javelin
Mystere
Ouragon
Vautour
J-29 Tunnan
J-32 Lansen

So on and so forth.....:)

so I'd expect that another sim for 50's jets would be quite some time off, but I would very much enjoy something like that.

I would guess as long as they don't have radar or anything sophisticated they would be easier to model...

BTW While looking for about Il-2 I see they are releasing a Hokum simulator for LOMAC, and also that Enemy Engaged CH II is about to be released too.

With Battle of Britain it seems that prospects for flight sims are looking up at the moment.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Still waiting for the 11b Tempest.......