overspeed

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 9 months

being a newbie to flight sim I'm having trouble with "overspeed" being shown when flying certain 'planes 747 and 737 spring to mind. and the noise really gets on your ****. I would like to know how to control it please, it seems to be with the power setting and speed. Can you help me ??:mad:

Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

just fly with the throttle below 100% usually stops the noise for me, set to 80/90 %

Member for

15 years 9 months

thanks Scott

Member for

16 years 5 months

not a problem :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

You have to remain below Vmo (or Velocity maximum operating), about 290kts indicated will do this for you.
If you work on Mach No. then you have to remain below Mmo.

Setting N1 to 80-90% won't necessarily do this, especially in a descent. The Overspeed warning is speed related, not % N1 related

Hope this helps

Member for

24 years 2 months

You have to remain below Vmo (or Velocity maximum operating), about 290kts indicated will do this for you.
If you work on Mach No. then you have to remain below Mmo.

Setting N1 to 80-90% won't necessarily do this, especially in a descent. The Overspeed warning is speed related, not % N1 related

Hope this helps

Ground speed, air speed, true air speed... ? ;)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Or EAS? IAS? Mach? TAS? GS?

The clue was in the first part of my reply :p ;)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks for the info on overspeed. I must admit I prefer Scott's method because I can understand what he's talking about, but then that newbies all over:cool:

Member for

20 years 7 months

try Scott's method and then descend at 2000fpm and see if it solves it ;) (it won't)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Sorry Deano, I didn't want to appear flippant in my last post, but being new to "simming" and picking things up as I go along, it's a bit difficult to pick up and decipher some of the info being passed by you experts, although all knowledge is
good. So sometimes it's easiest to take the least line of resistance. So please bear with me,:eek: and answers please in words of one syllable!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Basically, what our two professional pilots here try to say is that reducing to 80% the throttle won't necessarly slow you down enough. Especially if you are going down. (like in a car, or in a bicycle, gravity will help you gain speed if you go "downhill". ). You have, on your flight simulator, a gauge telling you what speed you are going. Keep this under the maximum speed by reducing the throttle accordingly.

If a plane is too slow, it will stall, and fall out of the sky. If it is too fast, (your flight sim gives you that message) it is likely to get damaged by the speed.

As for when they are talking about ground speed, indicated speed, ... to make it simple:

The plane measures its speed by the pressure excerted on a sensor (called pitot tube). The faster you fly, the more pressure. Of course, that speed is relative to the wind you are encountering. So, if you fly against the wind, the pressure will be higher, and you'll display a speed that is higher than what you would do if there is no wind. If the wind comes from behind, you will actually display a speed that is lower than what you are actually making.
The speed above ground is just that: the real speed you are attaining from point A to point B, or displayed speed + wind (which would be a positive number if it comes from behind, or a negative number if it comes from the front).

Of course, for your overspeed message, it is the indicated airspeed, or the speed you measure on the sensors (the plane does not care how fast you go in comparaison to the ground, unless you are bound to hit a tree, but then again, you should "fly" higher ;) )

So, adjustyour throttle to stay below the maximum permissible airspeed for your flight sim plane, and you'll be ok.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks Frank, now we're cooking with gas!:)

Member for

17 years 1 month

Of course, you can always use the speed control knob which will limit your speed to that which you dial in.

Very useful when you're landing a fast jet. Throttle set at nil and flaps won't help you get down to 140/150 kts (normal landing speed for fast jets) if you're on the glide slope at over 180 kts.

With the speed control you can lower your speed in increments during your approach. See the learning centre for these details.

John

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks John