Flight Sim X default ATC

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years

Hello all,
One of my frustrations in FSX is when I display the default ATC, I can only get a limited number of airfields to contact. I can not contact the particular airfield I want untill I fly within a limited distance of that airfield.
Is it possible to reconfigure the default ATC to display more airfields?
Or does anyone know of an alternative add-on ATC
to suit FSX.
Cheers, Bryan.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I can not contact the particular airfield I want until I fly within a limited distance of that airfield.

Which is pretty much the situation in real life.

Why do you want to change that to something less realistic?

Moggy

Member for

15 years

Hello Moggy,
The reason I would like to change is because I would like to contact a major airfield earlier to give me time to start descending and to know what my landing instructions will be.
Bryan.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Can you not request a descent from your en-route frequency?

In the real world it is the airways controller you must negotiate your descent with as it's his airspace you are manoeuvring in, not the airfield's.

(You can see I know little of MFS.)

Most larger airfields have an ATIS that gives out pre-recorded information on the status of the field. Is this not accessible from a distance either?

Moggy

Member for

15 years

G,day Moggie,
Not sure what you mean by en-route frequency, is that the FSX default ATC?
If it is the default ATC I cannot request anything because I cannot contact the airfield or controller of that airspace until I get close to it, eg.Brisbane International Airport (Australia) is only contactable within about 7 to 10 nautical miles.
Bryan.

Member for

15 years 1 month

If you've filed an IFR flight plan ATC should vector you for the correct approach well in advance and chop you across to the correct frequency.
If you've loaded a saved flight you generally need to re-activate your flight plan.

Member for

15 years

Thank you SkippyBing, you have solved my problem - I was flying VFR instead of IFR. As you have now probably guessed I am not used to flying heavy metal.
Thanks again
Bryan.