Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Sad story to be honest, all that hard work down the drain......:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8049780.stm

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

For about 6 or 7yrs I developed well over 100 repaints which I uploaded to avsim. A shame to see this happen. I suppose with the worlds population so large, its inevitable theres always going to be scum like this living amongst us unfortunately.

Personally I can't see the enjoyment of bringing down a flight simulation website - its a games site and the hackers really havent done anything clever by taking out a games website. Pathetic really.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I was really shocked to have read this article earlier today. Avsim.com was always my preferred flight simulation website and I used to visit and download on an almost daily basis. What with the future of Microsoft Flight Simulator in doubt and now one of the leading flight simulation websites out of action, the future of 'flight simming' looks very bleak!

Member for

16 years 1 month

Its bad if its made BBC News :eek:

Member for

17 years 1 month

Stupid really. No proper backup and lost the lot. Doesn't excuse the vandalism but just proves the need for daily external back up facilities.

John

Member for

19 years

'Tis a shame for all those who still Flight Sim. I know I almost went there every day when I was still simming so I can imagine the frustration. But life goes on..

Member for

14 years 10 months

Try the wayback machine

I had a look at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.avsim.com, and the last site backup was Jan 16 2008.

You may be able to recover earlier material there. They usually delay posting for 6 months, but if you ask nicely, they may even have more recent archives you might be able to access to recover, particularly as you are an open source repository.

Fingers crossed!

Member for

16 years 1 month

Stupid really. No proper backup and lost the lot. Doesn't excuse the vandalism but just proves the need for daily external back up facilities.

John

There excuse was that they were backed up between servers, but both servers were wiped clean, you would think they would back up onto tape its not that expensive (about 10 quid for 10 gig)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Well before we all get on our high horse the word on the street is that it was an inside job from a "disgruntled" employee. So you could have 250 backups, it's irrelevant if he knew how to get his hands on it.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Thats a shame if that really is the case.

Member for

15 years 7 months

What a shame! I'm just getting into flightsim.

Still...their backup plan wasn't exactly robust.

hope they come back.

Member for

17 years 2 months

We placed the order for the hardware this morning. We ordered some significantly powerful machines. These systems will be delivered Thursday night in time for our tech team to install them on Friday, the 22nd.

HARDWARE:

Due to the generosity of hundreds of community members, we will be able to bring online sometime over the weekend an AVSIM System that all of us will be proud of, I am sure.

High on our list of attributes that these new systems will provide are:

Virtualization
Clustering
Load Leveling
We will be effectively running the equivalent of 20 servers in two boxes.

In addition, we have purchased a 3Com 5500G 1 Gigabit 24 port switch to replace the existing 3C router.

I don’t want to bore you with the details, but here is the inventory of systems that will be brought back online Saturday or Sunday:

• Two HP Proliant DL380 G5’s with quad core Xeon E5450 processors working at 3 GHz.
• 32 GIG of DR2 Ram per G5
• 1.2 terabytes of storage on each G5 using 4 x 300 GB SATA-300/SAS drives.
• In addition, we will be bring back online, or repairing to bring online, our existing three severs, GREEN, PURPLE and WHITE
• We will also bring our NAS back into operation as our primary storage device for the system array.

SYSTEM SOFTWARE AND FUNCTIONALITY:

I am going to put my neck on the line here a bit based upon a briefing I received today, and say that our confidence is building about the state of the library. It is my hope that we can have our legacy library back up and running on Sunday. Our email system would also be back in operation.

We will have a Web site back and operating sometime over the weekend. If we can get the old system up and running, great. If not, we’ll create a redirect page for all three domains back to this forum system. In the meantime, the design team continues to work on the web and library redesigns and we will bring them online as soon as the team gives us the go ahead.

As for the Forums system; our confidence is increasing in that there may be something retrievable there. Again, we won’t know until we can inspect the material that we have since recovered and placed on WHITE for storage. More on that later.

:):):)

Member for

15 years 2 months

So does that mean, my repaints and other developers work will also be saved?

Good to see them resolving things.

Member for

17 years 2 months

It looks that way! :D

Member for

15 years 2 months

Great stuff, addmittedly most of my stuff was AI traffic related but I did also do a few repaints for flyable types too.

Member for

15 years 7 months

:):):)

That is some serious kit they have bought! Some very generous people around obviously!

The 5500G alone is a few grand....I work with these :p (great kit ;) )

Hope all goes well with the restore

Member for

16 years 1 month

Im reallyt impressed, they have resurrected themselves really quickly :-)

Well done:-)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Dedication for you and I for one will be very chuffed when it's back up and running :D.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Oh Yes!!!

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2615/avsim.jpg