This forum is crashing my computer!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

Adblock Plus

It might also be worth running CCleaner or Malwarebytes ?

Member for

7 years 3 months

Adwcleaner would also be worth running.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm on IE11 now and the difference is that everything is quicker. There is a "jump" when ads load but it happens so quickly that I have no time to move the mouse pointer before it has happened. I see no indication in the message area at the bottom of the browser window of "crap" loading in the background but that may be due to different ways to hide/display what happens. No lockups this far.

Alan, maybe I'll try Adblock Plus or one of the Firefox addons (if Adblock Plus isn't one of them).

About cleaners, well, I'm 99% certain that my computer is clean. I mentioned using Ghost Images as system backup. During the installation, several Images were created, enabling me to roll back the system if a subsequent program installation or update should go wrong. When creating the Images, the computer has never been connected to the internet (with the single exception of activating Windows 7) and it is the same status today regarding the most recent Image. How can that be? Well, prior to installing the monthly batch of updates to Windows, Office and any other program update, I download them to the computer (to the data partition). Next, I disconnect from the internet, restore the Image from last month (affecting the system partition only), install the updates, do a cleanup and create a new Image. The procedure has been the same since "day one" and the computer is as clean today as it was 5-6 years ago when I built it.

The Images do not include Microsoft Security Essentials or Firefox and Thunderbird. After the new Image has been created, those programs are installed. FF and TB are set to use the profile on the data partition, not affected by the procedure of restroring/creating Images. This means that there is a slight possibility (1%) that anything in there is the culprit but I don't think so.

When I finally reconnect to the internet, Windows 7 configures the connection and offers to set up a home network and just like the first time 5-6 years ago, I don't network the computer.

This procedure may seem cumbersome and yes, it takes an hour or so once each month but it's worth it, knowing that the system is clean and also, if disaster strikes (hit by a virus or HDD/SSD-failure or whatever) ... :applause: ... the system is back up running within minutes (unless it requires a trip to the shop for a new HDD/SSD).

I have a friend who is a web designer and he has joined the "hate Internet Explorer mob". He optimizes for Firefox and Chrome but not Internet Explorer or Edge. Maybe it's the opposite for the designer of this forum? Maybe it's worth asking about "browser optimization"?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm on IE11 now and the difference is that everything is quicker. There is a "jump" when ads load but it happens so quickly that I have no time to move the mouse pointer before it has happened. I see no indication in the message area at the bottom of the browser window of "crap" loading in the background but that may be due to different ways to hide/display what happens. No lockups this far.

It seems like I spoke too soon. There are delays whith a "spinning icon" when ads load and during that time IE11 is not responding but no "total lockups" this far. Also, I have not been redirected but that particular ad has not been shown while I've been using IE11.

I'm at a loss understanding why this happens on this forum only. My connection is 250 Mbps which should not be "maxed out" and causing delays, right?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Also, I have not been redirected but that particular ad has not been shown while I've been using IE11.

Now, it showed up but I did not get redirected!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Today it stalled again with a spinning icon. The "plugin-container.exe *32" process loaded the CPU to 30%. When I killed the process, after a few seconds I was able to continue using Firefox.

I think that I'll stop flogging this dead horse and wait for the fresh one ... :p ... !

Member for

20 years 6 months

I too am experiencing problems with this Forum.......I keep having to re load it, refresh it, etc..........and the odd thing is, every time I come here, 'something' seems to start in the back ground my Computer! (sorry NOT Computer literate at all).......PLEASE sort it out........its one of my regular 'go to' sights daily, but its just a total PAIN IN THE A@@E at the moment.

Member for

17 years 11 months

This forum is getting to be so slow and awkward. Please fix it!!!!
@webmaster

Member for

7 years 3 months

Hi,

We are working on a new version of the forum currently which should fix the problems that have been reported. We will release it as soon as we have finished testing it.

For the time being I have just fixed the top header so that the adverts do not make the page jump down.

James