Towing banners and the CAA

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Malcom.

I haven't speculated on anything whatsoever. I merely tried to find some evidence that the activity of banner towing is regulated. I wouldn't presume to speculate on a cause.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

15 years 3 months

Kev35, please re-read my post.
You found your evidence of regulation (albeit from Trinidad & Tobago) - the gist of this thread.
Its the drawing of attention to a specific point within those regulations that I comment on.

Regards
Malcom

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thats handy, I see the comment that I referred to has disappeared from the board in the last hour.:confused:

Member for

19 years 7 months

Thats handy, I see the comment that I referred to has disappeared from the board in the last hour.:confused:

Malcolm

I deleted my earlier post because of your astute observation that the regulation flagged up by Kev35 was from T&T and not UK CAA which I had failed to notice.

Tim

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ah well, I tried.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

15 years 7 months

GrahamF

At this very moment some idiot is flying around London in a helicopter towing a flag about the size of a football pitch. Has this flag been calibrated and checked out by the CAA and is acceptable for this design of aircraft?

What makes the pilot an idiot ?

On what basis do you assume the CAA do not find this acceptable ?

Is it not a tad harsh to criticise without citing any evidence other than what appears to be an opinion ?

What type of aircraft was it ? And what exactly makes it (to use your terms) uncalibrated or unchecked out ?

Member for

19 years

Banner towing training courses are available in the UK, it is a skill, which of course applies to many variations of aircraft use.

A shame that the last flying Wilga in the UK is no more and a relief that the crew escaped.

Is it really, what happened to the one at Sywell that i flew last week then????:rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 6 months

My understanding has always been that banner towing requires a skilled pilot and that the main problem is likely to be drag caused by the banner rather than any problem in lifting the weight of the banner but I am not a pilot so maybe I have misunderstood.
It is good to see that the two occupants of the Wilga escaped even though they were injured but the section below taken from the CAA regulations does make me wonder what the leader of the UKIP was doing aboard the aircraft unless he is a qualified pilot with the appropriate experience to assist in the banner towing operation.

(6) No person other than crew members directly involved in conducting banner tow operations shall be carried on board the aircraft involved in towing a banner

No doubt all will be revealed after the CAA investigation.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Is it really, what happened to the one at Sywell that i flew last week then????:rolleyes:

G-INFO shows four Wilgas on the register (apart from the a/c involved in the accident), can't vouch for them all being airworthy.

Planemike

Member for

18 years 4 months

PLeased to read that other Wilgas fly in the uk.