EAA or AOPA

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

I am just getting back into GA and was going to join our local EAA club.

I liked the building aspect of it, and a great bunch of guys.

But I was thinking...which is better; the AOPA or EAA?

A little bit about me:

12 hours of dual...20 years between the 11th and 12 hour....I am basically starting over.

I would like to fly GA, fly and see our children...one lives about 4 hours away.

So far we all live in Florida...so mountains to contend with.

If things pan out, I'd like to buy an older Cessna 172 I have had my eyes on.

Would like to increase flight time and donate myself and plane to organizations like Angel Flight and/or Missionary work also.

Do I want to build? Heck yeah! I'm a RC modeler from way back...building would be a great step.

Best thing, my wife supports me....Whew!

If there was a thread on this already, I would appreciate the heads up.

Thanks

29erJ

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Some folks have all the luck, my other half would throw me out sooner than agree with me.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Not luck...Blessed!

My X was like that.

Than God someone better in mind for me, I am blessed!

29erJ

Member for

19 years 5 months

In judging between the orgs...

If you're flying just for fun, the EAA is a good choice. They also have the Autogas STCs.
If you're getting an old 172...they have a subgroup for "classic" aircraft from the 50's & 60s....(also antiques, warbirds, homebuilts, etc).
You'd get two magazines...one from the entire group and one for your sub-group of interest.

AOPA is more for business aircraft and private owners who fly a lot...I'm sure they have advantages (insurance) I just don't know as much about them.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I've been getting that impression.

I am leaning towards the EAA because there is a monthly meeting about 15 from where I work.

I like the club atmosphere.

thanks J Boyle

29erJ

Member for

18 years 1 month

No contest for me. I belong to both EAA and AOPA (good magazines and on-line services from both).
I fly an RV-4 which is fast, sporty and economical. Night and IFR is allowed if you're suitably equipped and licensed - unlike in Europe.
If you build yourself, you can also get a repairman's certificate allowing you to sign off your own maintenance, repairs and condition inspections. If someone else built it, it's still generally easy to find an A&P who will supervise and sign-off an owner annual.
If you stick with the best of the EAA types then safety is at least as good as with factory builts.