N221AG, Turbo Goose.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

If you were fortunate enough to see this plane last year at Farnborough, the sad news is that it has crashed at Omal in the UAE. There were no survivors among the four occupants. :mad:

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5866593&nseq=5

Original post

Member for

20 years 4 months

The chief pilot and crew chief were friends of mine and I was out with them in London on Tuesday evening. It is a very sad loss as the Chief pilot was one fo the most experienced seaplane pilots around and a great guy. I only met the flight engineer on Tuesday yet we shared the same taste in sick jokes and we oggled the same women. He was 25 on the day of the crash. Not the best birthday.

Member for

19 years

I had heard a report of a possible control lock being left inplace:(

Member for

19 years

Report or rumour? :D

You would think that something like a control lock would be easily identifiable immediately in the post crash investigation this obviating the need for a costly and lengthy NTSB study. :confused:

That is sad and unnecessary. :( RIP. There is another video on you tube where a DHC Caribou takes off and immediately enters a vertical climb, stalls and crashes nose down into the ground. Apparently also because of a control lock. What made it more sad was the pilot's father was filming it.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yeah seen that one. They had just finished converting it to turboprop power.
I think it was a "gust lock" that was left in place.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Very sad news. RIP.

My first ever flight aged 12 was aboard a Sea Bee Air Goose, ZK-CFA.

New Zealand?

Member for

16 years 1 month

Yes. The aircraft took off from Mechanics Bay, Auckland, and flew me to Pakatoa Island, a holiday island in the Hauraki Gulf.
I still have very clear recollections of the flight. Mechanics Bay is still there but is simply a helicopter base now. The Grumman Widgeons and Geese are long gone, but formed an important part of Auckland's social history.