Roger Whittaker the pilot.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Roger's 75th birthday three days ago, still looking and sounding good. On his celebration TV programmme, there was a quick flash of his Queen Air (?) in Kenya which I presume he was flying. Anyone know more about his flying career?

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

He used to have a Rockwell Commander in the 70s, based at Stansted.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I never even knew he was a pilot.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Didn't he have a Citation as well at some point, and fly from (and live in the vicinity of) Audley End as well (not with the Citation though..)?

Member for

14 years 5 months

Nor me.......Durham Town...aah!:)

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi Peeps

if i remember he also had a kingair G-SONG and a Rockwell 114 G-NATT the Rockwell may have been his wife's

Regards Chris

Member for

18 years 11 months

Think you have hit the nail on the head as regards the aircraft, G-SONG was owned by a record company and the plane was returned to the US eventually. As for G-NATT, his wifes name is Natalie so that would be a big clue, not sure whether she flew or not.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Didn't he have a Citation as well at some point, and fly from (and live in the vicinity of) Audley End as well (not with the Citation though..)?

At one point he owned the (then) Red Lion Inn in Stambourne, Essex, which is 15 miles or so from AA. I guess late 1970s, early 1980s - certainly I was but an anklebiter then.

Adrian

Member for

13 years

Roger Whittaker

Roger's 75th birthday three days ago, still looking and sounding good. On his celebration TV programme, there was a quick flash of his Queen Air (?) in Kenya which I presume he was flying. Anyone know more about his flying career?

I can answer this one - I worked for Roger Whittaker for many years flying his King Air 200 Reg: G-SONG - He never did own a Queen Air it was in fact a King Air. I did all the air to air photography in the King Air over the Kenyan Countryside for the film we made to support his African album. Much of the film and air to air filming was also used as a backing to his live shows during that and subsequent years.
Roger was a qualified private pilot with a twin rating but always flew with a safety pilot. I was that person for a few years touring Canada and the USA. It was hard work sometimes when the weather became challenging! I did all the positioning across the Atlantic except for once - Roger said never again!

I will be happy to elaborate in private!

Member for

18 years 11 months

That would seem to be the definitive answer, thanks! :)

Presumably your monica would indicate a promotion in the aerial conveyance business. Only one more question, did Natalie ever fly as a pilot?

Member for

12 years 11 months

I saw Roger W at White Waltham back in the early 1980s. He had flown in using his wife's single engine aircraft (so we thought at the time). He parked next to the PA-28 I was trying to get started by bashing the hell out of an old and very stuck starter solinoid with my shoe, on a very old and stuck Cherokee 140. He gave me a very strange look. I guess it did look strange but what can a pilot do when faced with a stuck solinoid? RW's aeroplane didn't look like it had ever suffered a stuck starter solinoid in its short and gleaming life. ;)

Sarah