Friedrichshafen

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

Hello everyone,

I've just got my May issue of TP. In the news it is talking about the 'Aero 2003' show at Friedrichshafen in April. My question is, has anyone been before, and is it worth booking a flight to Germany just for a show? It looks good (500 exhibitors from 20 countries including the Today's Pilot boys and girls!) but its a long way to go.

Anyone got a view?

Seagull

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you are in general aviation, I'll think it is worth the trip. The event is devided into two parts. In the town, a huge complex is filled with the latest in general aviation, while at the nearby airfield, all aircraft are parked, In the weekend, they are joined with additional historic aircraft. See it as a Farnborough or Le Bourget, with the small aircraft as the top priority, in stead of the "big and noisy" ones.If you want to see the "newest" GA things, it isd the place to be at this side of the ocean. Best wishes, Roger

Member for

21 years 1 month

Thanks Roger, is it all kitplanes and microlights or are there heavier types like Cessna and Pipers etc?

Member for

24 years 2 months

It is everything, from microlights to Falcon 9000's. BW Roger

Member for

24 years 2 months

I usually try to go to every "Aero" and I essentially agree with Roger, although the emphasis is definitely on the lighter side of aviation (S/E and microlights). The organisers have for some time been very keen on bringing in more business jets but sofar they have not been that succesful. You can also fly in yourself, but be aware that they have a very rigid PPR system where you need to apply for a slot well in advance. There is usually also an airshow on Saturday and Sunday, but don't expect too much - certainly no military jets and safety distances and minimum heights are very conservatively chosen. This year the exhibition will take place in a newly built exhibition centre on the airport itself, which looks promising. If you expect a German version of Farnborough or Le Bourget, then I wouldn't go. However, if you want to see the latest trends in General Aviation, then it is the exhibition in Europe. In any case, the area in itself (Lake Constance) is very pretty. There is also a website: www.messe-fn.de

Member for

21 years 1 month

Thanks all, sounds like a plan.