I seem to have bought a new aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

It works.

That's not too over the top. I have seen one or two that look like they are trying a little too hard.

Moggy

Member for

18 years 1 month

No real gotchas with the -4, but it's not really a dual instruction machine for basics, as lacking rudder, brakes and forward vis in the back.

I've checked out several pilots for insurance purposes, but only with current tailwheel experience. Grass will make it a little easier at first, especially on landing. If she bounces a bit, don't fight it, freeze the 3-point attitude until it settles down. Those taper rod legs are quite springy.

3-pointers work best and with the trim a little in the nose high position. Control is excellent right down to touch down.

The temptation to become an RV hooligan should be mostly, but not completely, resisted.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I managed to resist the temptation to become a Yak Hooligan and can only remember one... or was it two.. run & breaks to land.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Did you manage to build your second RV, Mark?

Member for

13 years 1 month

Lovely picture.

Thanks for the info. I am glad NADZ has a CS prop, partly as it makes aeros simpler, and partly for the same braking effect you mentioned. I certainly found it an effective way of slowing my Yak 52 down to circuit speed, with that big paddle prop it was almost like hitting a brick wall as you went fully fine.

I have booked up some Supercub time to get my feet working again, and contacted the LAA coaching scheme for further work towards conversion to type.

The thought of walking out to my aircraft for the first time and flying it without the benefit of dual controls is a bit daunting, makes me feel like the poor old ATA people during the war faced with an unknown aircraft and an instruction manual.

Any other 'gotchas'?

Moggy

My old instructor said "If you can land an Auster, you can land anything". I can name one warbird pilot that couldn't master one...:D

Member for

15 years 3 months

My old instructor said "If you can land an Auster, you can land anything".

I would put the Auster in the Cub/Supercup level, pretty easy as tailwheels go.

Member for

17 years 5 months

See you at Panshanger on Sunday (26th) for the RV fly-in then Moggy ?

G-ANPK

Member for

13 years 1 month

I would put the Auster in the Cub/Supercup level, pretty easy as tailwheels go.

You've obviously not flown one...lol

Member for

18 years 1 month

Did you manage to build your second RV, Mark?

Hi Niel,

The RV-8 didn't quite get finished before my work moved 6000 miles west (and a bit south). It's now been taken over in Northern Ireland.

I'll shortly be out shopping for the nicest RV-8 that I can afford, which may re-appear in the UK in a few years time.

Too much nice weather out here; it's costing me a fortune in Avgas - even at 90p/litre.

Member for

24 years 2 months

See you at Panshanger on Sunday (26th) for the RV fly-in then Moggy ?

G-ANPK

I fear not. Insurance and other stuff to sort out first. Looks promising for the RV day at Duxford though (Lovely big field too)

Moggy

Member for

16 years 7 months

It's G-NADZ:o

Oh no, GONADZ! I'm sorry but I would have to re-register that!:D
Happy flying though:)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Deliberate choice of an earlier owner. As I have chum who recently re-registered his aircraft G-NORK (Google it if you aren't Australian) I think I'll hang on to it.

After all, it is the dog's danglies :D

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's not too over the top.

Moggy

I know it is rather nice.

I thought I remembered it have a chequered nose but obviously not.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Just don't repaint it in faux-warbird markings....:D

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Colt did indeed have a lot of charm and character and I shall miss him greatly. My regret is that I can't afford either the time or money to fly both.

Moggy