Light plane in emergency landing at Gatwick Airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

A light aircraft has made an emergency landing just yards from the end of the runway at Gatwick Airport.

It landed on its wheels on the airstrip at the nearby aviation museum in Charlwood, by the airport's perimeter fence on the Surrey/Sussex border.

The pilot and two passengers were treated for minor injuries at the scene. The plane had taken off in York.

Local roads were closed for a short time following the accident, which happened just after 0900 BST.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13988862

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

So not actually 'at Gatwick'

More like 'on the Charlwood airstrip near Gatwick'

Don't you just hate journos?

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

"It landed on its wheels....."

Just what did they expect it to land on?? :confused:

Member for

19 years

So not actually 'at Gatwick'

More like 'on the Charlwood airstrip near Gatwick'

Don't you just hate journos?

Moggy

BBC report actualy states NEAR Gatwick and that it was at the Airstrip at Charlwood. It was the poster that has added the AT Gatwick!
For once the report seems to be correct in its details.

Member for

18 years 4 months

My apologies for the slight distortion of the facts.

However the report did state "just yards from the end of the runway at Gatwick Airport". I am not sure how many yards the landing strip is from the end of the runway.

Member for

15 years 3 months

600 yards or 322 Smoots (approx).

Member for

13 years 4 months

Light Plane in Emergency Landing at Gatwick Airport

Since the incident involved the Gatwick Aviation Museum, I posted a report over on the "Historic" section - didn't know it was also being discussed here!

"apparently, the aircraft in question collided with one of the Museum's aircraft on display (thus bringing this post back on-topic...)

"A light aircraft had just landed at the Gatwick Aviation Museum on Lowfield Heath Road, Charlwood when it want off the landing strip and collided with a vehicle, believed to be an HGV, before hitting one of the planes that was on display, ripping a section of the wing off. Three people were injured."

source: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=137092

Anyone know more about this? It is not clear if the aircraft who "section of wing that was ripped off" was the light aircraft flying in from York - or if the damage was to one of the Museum's exhibits (or both)

It looks as though the seriousness of the incident was sensationalised and overstated by the press: Peter Mills of the Gatwick Aviation Museum has posted a reply:

"Light aircraft had stbd wing outer section damaged plus a number of other "dings" One museum airframe had a couple of paint scrapes. About all I'm prepared to say at this time."

I understand that the matter is now in the hands of the insurers (of both parties) so you will understand Peter's reluctance to discuss this further

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very well put, let's wait to hear more about it when the insurers have finished arguing over the details.