Will war in Iraq mean TRA's at home?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

Just wondering whether the ever more likely war in Iraq will result in TRAs and other restricted airspace in the UK?

After 9/11 we were hit with a complete GA ban - will we still be able to fly if we are at war?

If we can fly, will we have full use of airspace? I'm guessing that areas around Fairford will be no go areas - likewise those around prime terrorist targets like power stations etc.

Does anybody know?

Seagull

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Re: Will war in Iraq mean TRA's at home?

Originally posted by Seagull

After 9/11 we were hit with a complete GA ban

Were we?

I don't recall that. It must be my age.

TRAs still in force around the power stations anyway. Can't see that it will cause us any great ructions, but who knows?

Moggy

Member for

21 years 1 month

Moggy C

Yes, we only had a complete grounding for 24 hours (not like the poor Americans) - I remember because I was supposed to be flying on the afternoon of the 12th and the club called to save me a wasted journey.

Seagull

Member for

24 years 2 months

From today's NOTAMs:

EGUN (MILDENHALL):

B)03/03/13 16:03 UTC C)03/06/13 23:59 AGA (U0317/03)
E)PILOTS TO ENSURE ACFT DEFENSIVE COUNTER MEASURES ARE SAFE PRIOR TO LANDING. DO NOT RE-ARM UNTIL AFTER DEPARTURE.

EGVA (FAIRFORD):

B)03/02/27 00:01 UTC C)03/05/31 23:59 EST RAC (B0375/03)
E)FAIRFORD MATZ ACTIVATED

B)03/03/18 11:07 UTC C)03/06/30 17:00 EST NAVW (J0101/03)
E)MIL REF (AUS) 03-03-0294
RESTRICTION OF FLYING REGULATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE UNDER ARTICLE 85 OF THE ANO 2000. NO AIRCRAFT SHALL FLY WI THE AREA NOTIFIED AS THE RAF FAIRFORD MATZ EXCEPT ACFT FLYING IN ACCORDANCE WITH AN ATC CLEARANCE ISSUED BY ATC RAF BRIZE NORTON OR RAF FAIRFORD OR IN THE SERVICE OF GLOUCESTER POLICE.
F)SFC G)3286FT AMSL

So, yes, Fairford is somewhere to avoid at present, although a normal MATZ penetration may still be possible. If there is some sort of incident, they could restrict our flying temporarily, but I can't see anything to warrant this long term.

Most of the sensitive sites like Aldermarston and Burghfield are already covered by exclusion zones anyway. But it's still possible to get around without too much bother, and if it means talking to more people on the radio to get clearances, that's no bad thing either.

YR