Safety Gear

Profile picture for user Nikumba

Member for

19 years 9 months

I know saefty gear has to be carried on commercial a/c liek life jackets etc, but do ga pilots have to carry it or is merely a person choice?? Nikumba
Original post
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

No compulsion whatsoever in the UK. Most of us wear a lifejacket for legs where any time is spent out of gliding distance of the shore. Generally we carry a locator beacon too. Sensibly we should wear immersion suits since the lifejacket will really only keep you floating whilst you die of hypothermia in the waters around Britain, but at several hundred quid a go most (myself included) trust to luck instead. Stupid really. Others, more optimistic than most, carry a dinghy, even in a PA28. If you've ever been in a PA28 you will know it only has a single door. The chances of a successful ditching of a PA28 are apparently quite low. The chances of then getting four people out through the single door before it sinks are a fraction of that. The chances of also getting a dinghy out and through the door are a minute proportion of that. Whilst the chances of anybody who hasn't attended a ditching course being able to inflate then board the dinghy in anything of a sea are an even minuter sliver of that. But it does make you feel better, seeing it taking up duty-free space. The you can add hand-held radios, spare gps, flares, shark repellent, water dyes etc etc. But non are mandated. Parachutes are often worn in gliders and aerobatic types, but again, no compulsion. Does that help? Moggy
Profile picture for user galdri

Member for

19 years 9 months

Moggy C, You say parachutes are optional in aerobatic aircraft. I´m not sure that is the case, at least not here in Iceland. Parachutes are mandatory in aerobatics. The Icelandic CAA is always priding it in being a copy of your CAA, so I guess it must be mandatory in the UK as well?? Maybe I´m wrong ;)
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Probably compulsory in competition aerobatics, but I certainly have done Stearman and Pitts loops and rolls without. It would almost certainly be a rule of the governing authority rather than the CAA. The Yak had bucket seats so you had to wear a military chute or you had nowhere to sit. Can't say I ever relished the thought of jumping out though. Can't see one being much use in a C152 Aerobat. :confused: Moggy