"Spitfire" Production line re-opened / Enstone (merged)

Profile picture for user Dr. John Smith

Member for

8 years 11 months

Posts: 346

Surprised no-one else has mentioned this to date, but a project is underway in Oxford to build a dozen Spitfires - albeit the Australian designed "Mark 26B" 90% scale replica. According to the report, volunteers are still needed to assist with completion of the project, quote "Twenty volunteers are constructing the first Spitfire, but more helpers are needed to build the other 11. It's hoped the new City of Oxford squadron, as it will be known, will be completed by December. As well as pilots, it will include ground crews, engineers, and aeroplane and military vehicle enthusiasts". Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081668/Spitfires-reborn-Flying-club-builds-squadron-classic-warplane--bit-smaller-originals.html#ixzz1iTiNsRyF If the pictures and video are correct, this is not a mere pipe dream - one aircraft is already under construction. Any forum members is the Enstone/Oxford area know more about this?
Original post
Profile picture for user merlinai159

Member for

8 years 6 months

Posts: 66

90%! why not go the whole hog and add the other 10% and lets have them full sized.:confused:
Profile picture for user Lincoln 7

Member for

9 years 4 months

Posts: 8,306

WOW!!:eek: I just can't wait to hear the roar of the "V6" Isuzu engine burst into life. Ther'es just no substitute for the real thing.;) Jim. Lincoln .7
Profile picture for user Student Pilot

Member for

10 years 10 months

Posts: 201

WOW!!:eek: I just can't wait to hear the roar of the "V6" Isuzu engine burst into life. Ther'es just no substitute for the real thing.;) Jim. Lincoln .7
There's one out here (Strayliya) with a V8 Chev, sounds brilliant when it comes roaring past. It's a polished metal finish with roundals and looks fantastic. For those who can't afford the 4 or 5 million for a full size and have a few dollars to spare these one's are triffic. How would one with a Jag V12 go? There were a mob in the States doing conversions of Jag engines for Aircraft, they had them in 80% P40's. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.recreationalpilots.com.au/gallery/data/media/3/picture_837.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.recreationalpilots.com.au/gallery/details.php%3Fimage_id%3D7632&usg=__YqQBGKhiD99qXSDHHWbY-ACereQ=&h=768&w=1024&sz=346&hl=en&start=46&zoom=1&tbnid=iGDJLAUGzAuJQM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&ei=-y8ET47UFKnUmAWG4rmiAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dreplicaspitfire%26start%3D42%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-au%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1 http://www.recreationalpilots.com.au/gallery/details.php?image_id=797 http://www.recreationalpilots.com.au/gallery/details.php?image_id=798&mode=search

Member for

10 years 4 months

Posts: 239

Like anything else, only the real thing will do. Can't wait to hear the roar as the "Squadron" flies overhead :dev2:
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Posts: 16,831

A group of LAA enthusiasts building modern kitplanes (all be it very pretty ones) is a GA, not Historic topic surely? I have taken the liberty of repositioning it for you. Moggy Moderator
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Posts: 16,831

90%! why not go the whole hog and add the other 10% and lets have them full sized.:confused:
1) Scale replicas are cheaper by a factor of about 20 times - say £150,000 as against £3 million 2) Scale replicas can be built a lot quicker 3) Scale replicas are easier for civilian trained pilots (PPL) to fly 4) Scale replicas are cheaper to insure, run, maintain (Avgas is now £2.00 litre) Need I go on? Moggy
Profile picture for user Lincoln 7

Member for

9 years 4 months

Posts: 8,306

Moggs, Thats YOUR New Years Resolution up the spout..:D Jim. Lincoln .7
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Posts: 16,831

Yes I know, but the good Doctor is an infrequent poster so got gentler treatment than the reprobates can expect. Now get back on topic or you are in big time trouble! :mad: Moggy

Member for

10 years

Posts: 585

Yeah, i'm down the road from Enstone, i have heard about this idea, can't say it really grabs me either.............. if their going to build a squadron, then why not build one real one ! Anyway, i'm sure i'll take a look soon. Jules
Profile picture for user Lincoln 7

Member for

9 years 4 months

Posts: 8,306

Well, I have to give these chaps full marks if they can pull it off,somewon has very deep pockets to want a whole squadron of them. As an aside to the O.P. would it be feasable to build a 90% size Merlin engine?. If so, I wonder what it would cost, given design, toolling, machinery etc, etc. Jim. Lincoln .7
Profile picture for user Planemike

Member for

11 years 9 months

Posts: 1,800

A group of LAA enthusiasts building modern kitplanes (all be it very pretty ones) is a GA, not Historic topic surely? I have taken the liberty of repositioning it for you. Moggy Moderator
Bet there is a fair chance they will carry periord "serials" !!! Planemike
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Posts: 16,831

.. somewon has very deep pockets to want a whole squadron of them.
Not really, that is the point of the replicas. As I understand it (I can't bring myself to read the Daily Wail's take on it) there will be ten owner/builders for each aircraft, so they are only looking at £15,000 each over a year or two. And unlike cars there is unlikely to be much in the way of depreciation, so that money is 'stored' rather than spent. £15,000 is not a lot for such an attractive permit aircraft. My main issue with the type is that it is not certified for aerobatics. A straight-and-level Spitfire just seems a contradiction in terms to me. Moggy

Member for

8 years 6 months

Posts: 6,467

Twelve new Spitfires from Enstone To-days Telegraph carried a news item. Herewith as reported: "Aviation enthusiasts are beginning a year long project at Enstone Flying club, Oxfordshire, to build a squadron of twelve flightworthy Spifires" Does anyone know anything? John Green

Member for

8 years 6 months

Posts: 6,467

pagen01 Apologies one and all. When I put this on, I hadn't realised that it was recorded elsewhere in these Forums and the original writer was writing about scale replicas. John Green
Profile picture for user WJ244

Member for

12 years

Posts: 1,286

I can understand the attraction to the owners although it does seem strange that the design is not certified for aerobatics. The article I read said that they were proposing to make them available as a squadron for airshow appearances but I have my doubts that any display organiser will want to stump up money for 10 identical 90% replicas when it is comparatively easy (although admittedly more expensive) to book the real thing which will have much more crowd appeal. I think we can say fairly safely that they "won't be at Legends".
Profile picture for user Student Pilot

Member for

10 years 10 months

Posts: 201

My main issue with the type is that it is not certified for aerobatics. A straight-and-level Spitfire just seems a contradiction in terms to me. Moggy
I think it depends on the registration method, in RAA or "Ultralight" catagory, no aircraft is aerobatic (I think). In VH or experimental I think they are, anyhoo they are stressed to +6-6 (I think agin, not sure). There are some out here that regulary do aero's. The V8 is an option with some of the kits, the V8 sounds VERY good on high power. I think your a bit off with the price, depends on kit again but the mob with the V6's and V8's are closer to $300,000 Oz dollars or about mebe 180,000 Poonds. They may not be exactly like originals but at least they fly and provide much fun for the owners. You can compare some of the whinging about them to blokes who say hey would only go out with Lizabeth Hurley (The cricket yobo's friend) and ignore the good sort check out chick then go home to the computor for internet "Love". There's the real, tangable, achievable (Even if it is a replica) and there's the impossible dreamers. Those that do and those that don't.:D
Profile picture for user DazDaMan

Member for

16 years 2 months

Posts: 18,278

The Spitfire 26B hasn't flown in this country yet as far as I'm aware, although the previous, smaller, version has. I believe, though I could be wrong, that the smaller version is rated for aeros. They're certainly capable!
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Posts: 16,831

I think it depends on the registration method
It does indeed and over here they come under the LAA scheme, and the word from the LAA is currently 'No aeros' for either version. Hopefully this will change. The procedure is for one of the type to be submitted for test flying by the LAA. If it is acceptable then each individual aircraft has to be approved in turn, there is no general approval. My RV4 was the first in the UK and was the actual example tested and approved by the LAA (Or PFA as it was then) opening the door for all the others Moggy
Profile picture for user Lincoln 7

Member for

9 years 4 months

Posts: 8,306

Apart from the cost, what's the attraction of a 90% replica of the real thing?, Just a thought, and why a Spitfire?. I agree with Moggy, straight line flying would certainly not be anything like the "Real deal", and would hold no attraction to me at an air show. It will be very interesting to read the first review, when they test fly the first one. Jim. Lincoln .7