LSFC

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi folks. I have decided that regardless of whether or not Mrs C likes the idea I am going to take flying lessons. My choice of school is LSFC at Wycombe and I thought I would ask if anyone anyone on here has had experience of them. If so what they thought of the school, the instructors and the quuality of the tuition. Any info would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Great move! Welcome to perpetual poverty. :D

I am doing a little checking for you, meanwhile let me state the one huge NEVER when it comes to flight schools.

Never, never, never, part with cash up front to get a better flying rate deal UNLESS you can do it on a credit card.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Thank you. I have read that warning so often in the aviation mags and am going to be paying as I go. I know at my age there is a possibility I will fall off my perch before I qualify but the learning will be fun, interesting and will exercise the grey matter. If nothing else it will get me out of her way doing something I want to do.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well I have discovered nothing that leads me to believe that LSFC are in any way a bad outfit.

But with the aircraft they use you can only study for a NPPL(M), they cant train you for a PPL.

But the Eurostar is a nice aircraft, delightful to fly and if you are happy with that then no reason why not.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Many thanks for your trouble Moggy. That is why I am planning on learning there. At my age all I want is to fly for fun so I don't really need the added expense of Group a flying. A microlight will suit me fine. All the flight tests point to the Eurostar being a delight to fly. I think a machine that is pleasant to fly would only help the learning process. Any machine that requires a wrestling match to control it is going to slow the learning process I'm sure.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Mike,

I'm fairly certain - unless the rules have changed, that there is a Group A version of the Eurostar. This is a standard aeroplane plus a fuel pump. Having obtained a PPL A, you can then undergo 'differences' training to obtain your microlite endorsement.

So, for more or less the same outlay you get two for almost the price of one !

John Green

Member for

20 years 8 months

Cheers John, yes the group A version is known as the Spotstar. The only problems are 1) no school locally operates them and 2) the schools that do operate them charge normal group A rates. I don't think there is a school within an hour's drive of me operating the Sportstar and I am unwilling to drive any longer than that to the airfield. Booker is only 35 minutes or an hour if the M40 is blocked.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well folks the evil deed is done. Trial flight Thursday morning met permitting. Listen out for much screaming, shouting and things being thrown (at me) about 1900 GMT. Her indoors will have a hairy fit when I tell her but I am past caring what she thinks.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well I told mrs C the news last night. By comparison with the way such announcements are normally received her reaction was surprisingly mild. "Huh, I'm going upstairs". At least now I have a reason to put up with her continual nagging.

Member for

24 years 2 months

. I think a machine that is pleasant to fly would only help the learning process. Any machine that requires a wrestling match to control it is going to slow the learning process I'm sure.

What is so nice about the Eurostar is that it is actually quite responsive. I have an hour or so 'hands on' and am very jealous of your opportunity to train on one. By comparison the traditional trainers from Cessna and Piper are barges. It's not so much that they are in any way difficult to fly or need wrestling. They are just very unrewarding by comparison.

Good luck with the weather on Thursday - and report back after.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 2 months

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time :)

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yes, I would endorse that comment about the Eurostar. Nice, pleasant aeroplane.

Mike. I am, probably like many others, rather interested in your training progress. Would it be possible to write regular updates on what you're doing? Include all the hiccups: weather, continuity, instructor etc.,

John Green

Member for

20 years 8 months

Firstly folks many thanks for your words of support. I will of course provide progress reports. Today went well. I agree with Moggy about the responsive nature of the Eurostar, it is a delight to fly. I was blessed with good weather, seems like you were all praying to the weather Gods for me. I found that even by comparison with light handling machine such as the Chipmunk the Eurostar is very light on the controls, my instructor was Peter Newman and we actually touched on parts of exercises 2-6 whatever they are. I am chuffed to bits with one of Peter's comments. He said that the basic aircraft handling skills are all there and that I know when the aircraft is doing something wrong and do something to remedy it instead of sitting wondering what to do about it. Also said it was hard to believe I had not had any hands on aviation for 30+ years. As you can imagine a dog with two tails would appear miserable by comparison with the way I am feeling tonight. Looking forward to my next lesson. Updates will be forthcoming as the situation demands.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Further to my post flight remarks I have a couple of things to add. One is that the Eurostar is very sensitive in pitch and the trim is also very effective. So much so that it is possible to find an eighth of an inch movement is too much. The other thing is that I found myself rolling the bank off too early going round the corners when in the circuit and it took me until about midday yesterday to work out why. The last thing I flew before the Eurostar was a K13 and we all know that gliders are not notorious for a sparkling roll rate. I was taking the bank off where I would normally start trying to persuade a glider to level out forgetting that with the Eurostar if you even think it it's done. They are delightfully light on the controls without being twitchy. In fact they are very stable considering their low weight. Yes you get bounced about a bit in turbulence but it is not uncomfortable.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Really glad it went well - sounds like you'll be through the course in short order.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

I would like to think so but the limiting factor will be finances followed by being able to find a window of opportunity when Mrs C is not badgering me to attend to some mundane chore in the house or garden. Somewhat miffed today, beautiful flying weather and I am stuck at work. I am also humble enough to realise that not every lesson will go that well. I know there will be days when it seems as though I can't get anything right but Mrs C has been telling me that for years so I'm ready for it.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well if I thought the horizon was indistinct last Thursday today was even worse ,you were lucky if you knew there was a horizon out there somewhere. Apart from that though the weather was good enough to allow me to get a complete lesson in. Covered climbing and descending and flying at speeds other than normal cruise. Even flew the approach and landing under the watchful eye of the instructor.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Mike,

Have you had even just a modest dispensation from the CAA which takes into account your previous training and knowledge?

John Green

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ha ha, and for your next joke? Before this my last flying was gliders 30+ years ago and then not even to solo standard. Any previous experience I have would count for naff all now. Not that I mind. I am even enjoying the back to basics approach to my training. No way would I have considered myself ready for some of the things I did yesterday on what amounted to my first real lesson. Peter said that he was happy with the way I handled the briefed exercises that he just added things that he felt I was ready for. I just wish I had the same faith in my ability that he seems to have. I have to admit that all through the approach I kept expecting his call of I have control and it was only as I started the flare the I fully realised it wasn't going to happen. Good job he had his feet ready for the brakes as I didn't purely because I was not expecting to fly the landing. Do you get the impression I'm having fun? I love flying that much that I think I will even enjoy the days when I am the most inept idiot ever to get their hands on the controls of an aircraft. Even if I don't I will have to live with them to achieve my goal. The determination to succeed is strong enough to get me through those days I think, it has to be as I don't intend to give up this time unless death stops me.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good job he had his feet ready for the brakes as I didn't purely because I was not expecting to fly the landing.

Always remember that the best brake on the aircraft is in your hand.

Using aerodynamic braking by holding the nose high for as long as possible is not only kinder on the aircraft's brakes and tyres, but is also a good habit to get into as it means you are protecting the nosewheel.

Nosewheel collapses are a major feature for training aircraft.

Loving your enjoyment and your determination.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

I know the nose wheel leg is the weakest part of the undercarriage. The brakes were not applied until the nose wheel was truly on the ground and then only to slow us enough vacate the runway in short order as there were aircraft at the hold waiting to depart.
You're loving it? Not half as much as I am I'll bet. The thing that gives me the determination is that I have started aviation activities twice before and not been able to complete them so this is third time lucky in my mind. That and the fact that I am not getting any younger.
I agree with all those who say flying is the most fun you can have whilst remaining decent.