LSFC

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Propstrike that's a lovely idea, the only trouble is it takes me all my time trying to fit lessons in let alone fitting extra flying in just for the pleasure. I would love to get two or three sessions in one day but unfortunately the aircraft usage precludes that until such times as I need longer bookings for Xcountries. I got my lesson on Wednesday and have still managed to avoid putting holes in the runway which is as good as it got. I really had an off day as work getting in the way meant it was over a month since I last flew and my concentration was not keeping pace with the aircraft, in fact I think the aircraft was about three days ahead of me.
Further to what has been said previously I think the Tiger Moth is one of those aircraft which is not difficult to fly but is difficult to fly well. From the little while I spent at the controls I get the impression it is an aircraft that rewards good handling.

Member for

20 years

I know Booker well, and I know the three county cross-countries which they fly and call them circuits, such that you would be doing well to do more than 4 landings in an hour's slot.

In a small aircraft, there is no need for this (protocol aside) and and somewhere like Chiltern Park (Benson direction) you , where you are not being sent on 15 minute circuits, you could be doing a landing every three minutes or so. If you did 600 foot circuits you could shoot an approach every two minutes, and all you need is a flat field and 300 metres of grass. What you don't particularly need are endless ATC chatter, holding points, permission to taxi, and all the other guff that goes on at airfields aspiring to be like Heathrow.

If I were in your position, I would begin to wonder why the training I was receiving was not more geared to my making progress. It is too easy, and profitable, for FTO's to schedule endless lessons, as the instructor is logging plenty of hours, and the revenue stream is very impressive.

These aircraft are very simple to operate, and whilst I will refrain from stating a figure at which it should be reasonable to solo, in the past tyro Tiger Moth pilots would be expected to solo in 8-10 hours. Now that was wartime, they were all young and easy to teach, and lessons were intense and uninterrupted , but there was a 'press-on' attitude which is largely missing today.

However, enough of my grousing, I hope you continue to make good progress!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am guessing that you were discouraged, and maybe annoyed at its 'out of balance' flying characteristics, which, combined with difficult learning environment came make one feel, and appear a bit inept ?

I need no help to appear inept in an aircraft!

In truth, I just couldn't find anything pleasant in flying the aircraft. The open cockpit was quite nice, and the noise is pleasant, but the whole experience seemed to me not worth the hassle of even starting the thing.

Glad I did it, not inspired ever to try it again. But other opinions are available and equally valid.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

I know Booker well, and I know the three county cross-countries which they fly and call them circuits, such that you would be doing well to do more than 4 landings in an hour's slot.

In a small aircraft, there is no need for this (protocol aside) and and somewhere like Chiltern Park (Benson direction) you , where you are not being sent on 15 minute circuits, you could be doing a landing every three minutes or so. If you did 600 foot circuits you could shoot an approach every two minutes, and all you need is a flat field and 300 metres of grass. What you don't particularly need are endless ATC chatter, holding points, permission to taxi, and all the other guff that goes on at airfields aspiring to be like Heathrow.

If I were in your position, I would begin to wonder why the training I was receiving was not more geared to my making progress. It is too easy, and profitable, for FTO's to schedule endless lessons, as the instructor is logging plenty of hours, and the revenue stream is very impressive.

These aircraft are very simple to operate, and whilst I will refrain from stating a figure at which it should be reasonable to solo, in the past tyro Tiger Moth pilots would be expected to solo in 8-10 hours. Now that was wartime, they were all young and easy to teach, and lessons were intense and uninterrupted , but there was a 'press-on' attitude which is largely missing today.

However, enough of my grousing, I hope you continue to make good progress!

We manage to get 5 an hour but our circuit is not excessively large when you consider the shenanigans of the eggbeater drivers. Chiltern park would probably have a larger circuit if they weren't trying to be as little nuisance to Benson as possible.
Moggy I know that feeling, me too.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well I had a lesson yesterday. Not impressed as I seem to be static at the moment> I seem to have hid a stationary patch where I am not progressing and possibly going backwards. Oh well I shall persevere and hopefully overcome my problems.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Had another lesson on Saturday in what turned out to be the worst weather of the day but I'm not going to complain as I did a little better than on the previous two lessons. I have come to the conclusion that the weather gods hate me. Further to my earlier comment regarding the size of Booker's circuits the other factor is being a good neighbour. There are too many people arouond willing to complain about the noise so the circuits are laid out to avoid noise sensitive locations. Both Frieth and Lane end are noise abatement areas as is High Wycombe. I know that the Rotax engine is unobtrusive from outside but we have to be seen to comply with the proceedures even if it isn't necessary so that there is no cause for complaint.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Stick with it Mike. If my maths are correct it's 10 days between lessons, could be a factor on why you did better?
Lets hope the weather gods are kind in the months to come.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I think the lack of a decent horizon made me concentrate more which could also have been a factor. I fully intend to stick with it as it is what I've always wanted to do and now I am at last doing it I'm not going to be put off.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Losing a well defined horizon does make flying doubly difficult and increases the concentration factor hugely.

But it is a tool you'll need in the box to be a safe pilot

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Most definitely agree with that Moggy. In this country especially, just because it's nice when you depart doesn't mean it will stay that way. I'm pleased that I'm getting some experience of flying in less than ideal conditions and learning at a relatively busy airfield as it is all good experience for later on.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well I managed another lesson yesterday. What went wrong with the weather? We had a wind only about ten degrees off the runway, something I've never been lucky enough to experience before. At last I've just about got out of the habit of climbing every time I turn. The reason was that I was continuing to look into the turn after my looking to check I was not going to run into anything. Now that I check ant return my attention to the horizon I'm getting better results. Still making the same mistake some times though.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Another enjoyable lesson had on Thursday. Still not used to how light the controls are on the Eurostar, much lighter than anything I have handled previosly. I don't think even gliders were as light. Progress is slow but being made. Landings are a bit like hard work at present but hopefully perseverance will see them improving.

Member for

20 years 8 months

A very productive lesson was had on Thursday. Starting to make some real progress on my landings now. Weather was great. Clear skies and a wind straight down the runway but it had backed a little by the end of my lesson so my final landing had a slight crosswind component but nothing drastic. Still enjoying myself every time I fly.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Mike, how many hours have you got logged now?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Twenty four and a half. I am making progress slowly - the disadvantage of being an old codger is that one's learning ability slows down.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Had a lesson on Tuesday, the less said about it the better. It was one of those "I can't get anything right" days. I can honestly say that it was the first time in my life that I was glad to get back on the ground.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Lesson a fortnight later weathered off due to WAP having about 1500m vis. Today's lesson of due to wind 15 gusting 25 knots straight across the runway. Far too sporting for my ability even if it wasn't outside the aircraft's crosswind limitations which it was.

Member for

24 years 2 months

You cope very well with the inevitable frustrations Ian.

Still 2014 is just around the corner and with luck will be the year you qualify.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

You cope very well with the inevitable frustrations Ian.

Still 2014 is just around the corner and with luck will be the year you qualify.

Moggy

Twenty two years of army life teaches a very good lesson in coping with frustrations (in the army they're called officers). Hopefully you are right and this will be the year I qualify.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Twenty two years of army life teaches a very good lesson in coping with frustrations (in the army they're called officers).

We called them Ruperts not officers. But please Mike keep the updates comming.