Member for

15 years 2 months

Anyone know about this ?

http://cluttonfred.info/contact#.Uu4bK2dWGUk

Looks pretty cool and yet simple.

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

A few have been built in the UK. I knew some one who had one, but sold it.

Dave

Member for

20 years

If you wanted a FRED you could probably get one almost free, ie a permit expired example that might need a few days tickling back into life.

The market has moved on a lot, and these very basic local bimblers with marginal performance have very much been side- lined, such that they are virtually given away now.

And yet they do still offer real seat-of-the pants group A flying, and there is much fun to be had, especially if you can share your bimbling with a few other like-minded nutters in similar machines.

see here

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/42164-has-anybody-out-there-flown-fred.html

An advert in the superb LAA mag might well lure one out of storage, or even identify one of the few flyers.

Member for

14 years 10 months

You could probably trawl one up by doing a search on G-Info; check the de-registered section too.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Until fairly recently there was a FRED flying regularly from White Waltham. Might still be there.

Member for

20 years

Until fairly recently there was a FRED flying regularly from White Waltham. Might still be there.

Recently... well compared to the end of the last ice age, yes! :rolleyes: You might be thinking of Luton Minors.

In fact it was 2000 when Martin puttered away in ZT to the east for the last time, destination Kent. He squeezed it into a fairly tricky strip, and got the train home remarking ''Thank Feck I don't have to fly that bl++dy thing again!'' Three forced landings, one of them on fire, had cast rather a long shadow over the whole FRED experience, during his four year ownership.

The new owner had his very own 'FRED experience' on one of his early flights.

Still, cheap flying, very stimulating, lots of pub stories !

Member for

12 years 11 months

Re 7

Propstrike or, should I write 'young Propstrike' It isn't until you become a bit venerable that time speeds up !

Anyway, it's barely fourteen years for God's sake - don't nitpick !

Member for

15 years 2 months

Recently... well compared to the end of the last ice age, yes! :rolleyes: You might be thinking of Luton Minors.

In fact it was 2000 when Martin puttered away in ZT to the east for the last time, destination Kent. He squeezed it into a fairly tricky strip, and got the train home remarking ''Thank Feck I don't have to fly that bl++dy thing again!'' Three forced landings, one of them on fire, had cast rather a long shadow over the whole FRED experience, during his four year ownership.

The new owner had his very own 'FRED experience' on one of his early flights.

Still, cheap flying, very stimulating, lots of pub stories !

Why did it catch fire ?

Member for

12 years 11 months

Why did it catch fire ?

Topspeed

Think speed and friction !

Member for

20 years

Why did it catch fire ?

Blew out a spark plug, and red hot gasses ignited an oil line.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Funnily enough, and example of one of these (G-BMOO) will be in attendance at an event I've just been posting about, and ground running it's rather nice engine too!

See THIS THREAD