A special day, and not just one !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

Just got back from an errand to the harbour at about 1215pm in time to see the Mustang/Spitfire duo sweep in from the South East over the harbour at about 500ft. with the Spit in echelon right. They completed a turn which took them over the M27 to the North. Two minutes later the Spitfire appeared once more over the harbour by itself and moved off to the North East.

Two Merlins in harmony. More musical than the Proms !

Member for

13 years

Dark blue Harvard appeared over the Western edge of Chichester harbour at about 2.0pm to-day. Spirited display of loops and rolls off the top, at about 1200ft.

Later, about 3.30pm, a fighter pair in close formation came over the harbour some distance away. They were to far away to correctly identify but they sounded like a Spitfire and Mustang - one was light in colour, one was dark. They displayed over quite a wide area to the North and at some considerable speed,

After a week or so without hearing the evocative song of a Merlin it was good to once again see and hear.

Member for

13 years

There appeared a solitary Spitfire on Friday 23rd. We hadn't seen one for some time so, all the more pleasurable. Performing barrel rolls as it flew from West to East across Chichester harbour at a height of about 1200ft.

Member for

13 years

First time since last time. At about 2.15pm to-day, A Spitfire came across Chichester harbour from East to West at about 1200 feet. No aerobatics, straight crossing of the harbour entrance.

Member for

13 years

Excellent weather. Would've have been flying if the car battery hadn't let me down. Consolation: A solitary Spitfire came over the harbour West to East at about 1215 to-day, height about 1500 ft.

There followed a series of barrel rolls interspersed with two loops before it disappeared behind the trees. What is so impressive is that the Spitfire is at nothing like full chat and yet, its entry speed must be spot on, it looks slow from the ground but must be adequate because the manoeuvres are performed meticulously.

Member for

13 years

First time for a long time and the first this year. To-day the weather was near faultless. At about 2.30pm a Spitfire, travelling from West to East, at a height of about 500 feet came barrelling along over the seaward end of Chichester harbour.

We've been Spitfire deprived for a few months so, what a pleasure it was to see R.Js masterpiece.

Member for

13 years

Three Separate Spitfire sorties to-day. First at about 4.0pm travelling roughly East to West across Chichester harbour at a height between five hundred and one thousand feet. Second at around 5.0pm, West to East at the seaward end of the harbour at about 500 hundred feet, and the third at 5.40pm travelling from West to East at about 1,000 feet. The pilot entered a shallow dive near to the entrance of the harbour and executed a loop rolling out at the top and resuming his course to the East at the seaward end of the harbour.

The characteristic of all three flights was they were not performed briskly as is usual eg. at between an estimated 220 and 250 knots but quite sedately at what appeared to be around 200 knots. As well, the engine note sounded restrained.

Member for

13 years

It was misty to-day around Chichester harbour - a bit less that CAVOK. At about 3.30pm out towards the West, over Langstone harbour I heard the sound of a Merlin with, in the same area of sky, the 'whop-whop' of a rotary wing. I could see nothing until both sounds moved around to the South, over the sea, and I picked up the profile of a Spitfire with an attendant helicopter on an Easterly heading at about two thousand feet which distance was about the limit of vertical visibility.

They continued on that heading, with the Spitfire weaving slightly until they disappeared into the haze.

Member for

13 years

To-day Thursday, the jungle snarl of a Merlin was heard on two separate occasions. At about 12.45pm, in relatively clear weather, a single Spitfire at a height of roughly two thousand feet, sped across the seaward end of Chichester harbour. No dis[lay just a single pass West to East.

At 2.45pm, another Spitfire graced the harbour with its presence. Travelling West to East it performed two loops at about two and a half thousand feet before finishing with the flourish of a barrel roll at a height of about 1500 feet. I was hoping for a closer encounter but, not on this time.

Member for

13 years

At around 4.30pm to-day in not very kind weather, a solitary Spitfire at about 1500ft, came along the seaward end of Chichester harbour from West to East. The difference ? In response to my demented waving I got a wing waggle !

Member for

13 years

At around 12.30pm to-day appeared over Chichester Harbour a single Spitfire making clockwise and anti clockwise orbits at about 2,000 feet. The weather was good with scattered cloud.

After about ten minutes of orbiting at perhaps the slowest speed I've seen with any Spitfire, two other smaller a/c appeared and formatted on the Spit. To far away to be identified with any accuracy, they might have been some variety of Extra. All three then departed to the East.

Member for

13 years

A familiar sound to-day and just a glimpse. High overcast cloud cover and good horizontal visibility brought a single Spitfire on a circular, clockwise pass around Chichester harbour. At about 2,000 ft. and crossing the far western shore of Langstone harbor before circling over the far eastern side of Chichester harbour. All this at about 2.30pm. with no aerobatics that I could see.

Member for

13 years

11.05am to-day, Friday. Single Spitfire appeared overhead Chichester harbour at a height of about 1500 feet. Made an anti clockwise orbit from West to East directly overhead. Me, my sister and my niece waving like mad. Aircraft well throttled back. Weather: pleasant day with broken cloud and visibility reduced.

Member for

13 years

Two more visits to-day Fri. One at 2.10pm and the other at 3.15pm Both rather sedate sorties, altho' my sister said that one Spitfire did a barrel roll. Both were over Chichester Harbor.

Member for

13 years

A rather gusty, blustery day at Chichester harbour brought forth, surprisingly, two brisk visits from a Spitfire flown at between 1500 and 2000 ft. The first was a pass from East to West at about 1245pm to-day Friday. The second, about half and hour later was from West to East and both quite briskly flown at about 250 kts.

No deviating aerobatics just straightforward passes.

Member for

13 years

A flawless day from ground level. Upstairs, a misty layer made things interesting. At about 2.30pm a Spitfire came over the harbour from the WesT. Height between 1500 and 2000 ft. Over the southern portion of the harbour we were treated to two barrel rolls and slightly further on, over the Witterings, a loop off what looked like an extended vertical climb.

About 4.30pm another Spitfire crossed over the harbour from West to East, same height about 1500ft. described a wide orbit to the North over the M27, came on over the Northern end of Chichester harbour curving round to the East and disappeared into the haze.

I am this week working on a friends boat in the harbor so hope to report on more sightings of the worlds favourite iconic fighter.

Member for

24 years 3 months

We'll, you are lucky man living in that neck of the woods John.

I look forward to more of your Warbird sightings!

Cheers

Paul

Member for

13 years

Yes, we do count our blessings Paul !

I liken this area to a kind of aerial Piccadilly Circus. We have GA traffic crossing overhead both to and from the Isle of Wight. This is complemented by East/West and the reverse movements.

Chichester Harbor seems to be the number one hotspot for practicing aerobatics. We get lots of Extras, the occasional Harvard, and of course and most frequently, I'm pleased to add, the Boultbee Spitfires and the Mustang.

The harbour is also an extremely good vantage point for observation of transiting display aircraft. I've seen a B17, Dakota, DH Dove/Heron - I don't know the difference - a solitary Hawk and fairly frequently a Falcon engaged, I think, on Southampton radar calibration duties.

Many helicopters including Chinooks based, I believe, on Thorney Airfield.

Member for

13 years

Three Spitfire visitors to-day Thurs. and a Harvard.

Around noon the cloud was scattered at about 2000ft and just slightly more than hazy. At about 1.30pm I heard a solitary Spitfire growling somewhere in the overhead. I caught just one glimpse as he emerged between clouds and judged by engine noise only, made an anti clockwise orbit of the harbour before disappearing to the East.

About 2.30pm a single Spitfire appeared travelling from West East over the seaward end of the harbour at about 1000ft. One pass and it was gone.

The best was saved till last. At about 3.30pm a single Spitfire appeared over the Eastern side of the harbour, at a height of about 500ft. It came in fairly briskly and went into a barrel roll, perhaps a quarter of a mile from my position on the back of a boat - waving like a loon ! Using the speed from the roll, the Spitfire proceeded straight into a loop and vanished into the haze towards the East.

About fifteen minutes later we were graced with the appearance of a Harvard just trundling around. He went off in a Southerly direction and that was the last we saw.

Member for

13 years

Flawless skies with absence of weather to-day Wed. 5th July. At about 11.50 a single Spitfire came from the South West corner of Chichester harbour. Performed a single loop and disappeared to the East.

There followed a biplane of unknown make; possibly a Tiger Moth some way into the distance which, in its turn was followed by a Harvard performing gentle rate one/two turns over the harbour.

The weather is so good coupled with excellent visibility that we might see some more aerial activity this afternoon.