Rye Harbour crash

Profile picture for user snafu

Member for

6 years 2 months

A search is underway for the pilot of a light aircraft that crashed into the sea near Rye Harbour in East Sussex. The plane is said to have plunged into the water at around 5pm on Saturday with one person on board. Coastguard helicopters and lifeboats are conducting the search for the plane, which is believed to be able to carry up to four people. Wreckage from the aircraft has been washed ashore, according to local police, who are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to come forward. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/light-aircraft-rye-crash-crashed-sea-east-sussex-search-coastguard-lifeboats-harbour-winchelsea-a7176646.html
Original post
Profile picture for user paul178

Member for

8 years 6 months

Not wishing to sound hard the pilot is obviously dead and the area is roughly known. The RNLI is their to save lives so there is little more they can do. Knowing the area fairly well I am sure a fishing boat will turn up the aircraft in the next week or so.
Profile picture for user snafu

Member for

6 years 2 months

Indeed, I agree. But I was thinking of the hazard to shipping and the potential for damage to vessels and nets from the wreckage - if a yacht gets holed or (probably unlikely in this case) a trawler snags its nets and capsizes - as much as the recovery of the pilot and establishing what happened.