Anyone know what Squawk is?

Profile picture for user Larry66

Member for

14 years

Been playing with FlightRadar today (definitely worth getting the paid app-it has a LOT of cool features!) and in the plane info I see the word Squawk with a number. Some planes have nothing there. Also I discovered the app has alarms you can set, and again the word Squawk pops up. What the heck is a Squawk? [ATTACH=CONFIG]247870[/ATTACH]
Attachment Size
PicsArt_08-29-10.01.57.jpg 240.17 KB
Original post

Member for

8 years 6 months

A 'Squawk' is a four digit code fed into a transponder, so identifying individual aircraft on a Secondary Radar screen. To save me time, have a read of wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_(aeronautics) or make a "Google" search using 'Transponder code' as your key words. When using FR24 one code to be aware of is 7700 - the emergency distress code - which can cover all sorts of eventualities from a major technical issue to a seriously ill passenger. On FR24 an aircraft squawking 7700 is shown as a red icon. While serious researchers can have all sorts of issues with wikipedia entries, for simple inquiries it can be a useful encyclopedia to explain technical terms. You might want to try and obtain one of David J Smith's books on Air Traffic Control - try Abe books for a cheap(er) second hand copy. Lots of interesting detail on procedures and technology.

Member for

13 years

The other bit on that list Mode S is an identifier unique to each aircraft that is also part of the squawk and identifies the aircraft registration and type etc. Some foresee it as a future system that may be used to bill you for flying, but they deny that.

Member for

8 years 6 months

Or, inadvertently chopping the corner off the zone !