Howard Morehouse unsung light aircraft engineer deveploper.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 2 months

Mr. Morehouse first help design upgrades to the Wright J4 radial while working as a civilian at I believe at McCook field - now Wright-Patterson. The improved J4 became the J5 that was used by Lindbergh and many other pioneers. Then he designed the engine for the Aeronca C2 and C3 - the first successful production light engine in US. Then he designed the Contenatal A40 - 37 hp that was used in the Piper J2 and J3. He also designed an inverted 4 cyl engine for the Ercoupe that never went into production because Continental decided to go into production with another Morehouse design - the A65 -65 hp in 38 that is still in production as the upgraded O200 - 100 hp. He also designed for Lycoming the O145 engine of 65,75 hp and the O235 of 100 hp which is still in production today. Quite the busy, productive man.

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

Is he still with us.?

Member for

8 years 2 months

According to Mr. Google he lived from 1894 to 1973. His lack of recognition may be the reason why he wrote a manuscript about other early aviation pioneers meant for publication but never was. Do a Google on his name as early aviation pioneer and you may be amazed at his accomplishments.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Thanks, will do.

Member for

15 years 2 months

His name was Harold Morehouse, not Howard.

Member for

8 years 2 months

Chitts thanks for the correction - wonder if you even heard of Morehouse before I brought him up in the discussion.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Harold Morehouse's work has been documented and appreciated for many years. His contribution to the prototype Aeronca C2 is well recorded in the excellent books written by the late Paul Matt.

Member for

8 years 2 months

Have tried for years to get some recognition of Morehouse - tried to get a thread started on EAA's vintage forum but no one was interested. Guess Morehouse is one of many unsung aviation pioneers who will be forgotten - especially since he was known as a engineer and not a pilot. Then again a rich businessman like William Piper gets all the praise - nothing against Piper - he spoke to a group of us freshman engineers at VA TECH in 1964. Use to have a book on Aeronca where Morehouse was very prominent. Guess we stand on tall shoulder of the true aviation pioneers.

Member for

8 years 2 months

My dream for many years is buy a Piper Tomahawk (PA38-112) and fly to the annual Sentimental Journey Fly In at Lockhaven, PA. Hope to do this soon as I am not getting any younger. If you read Peck's book on the Taylorcraft you will see how Piper took advantage of Taylor when he was seriously ill. But when the Piper plant at Bedford PA burned to the ground Piper wanted Taylor to help him rebuild. Taylor suffered from Polio and was always kind of frail. But he designed the Cub(E2) and the Taylorcraft.

Member for

19 years 5 months

When I was working at Wright-Patterson, I used to frequent a local grass strip (operated by a local chapter of the EAA, IIRC) and Taylor's son, a retired USAF colonel, and grandson flew a very nice Taylor E-2 from the strip.