Piper Cub

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

I flew a cub at the weekend, this was the first time for me, I have a couple of hundred hours in the usual sorts of A/C but had never been that interested in flying the little Piper.

But what a lovely little hairyplane, great view, some fantastic little querks to it and you really feel like there is not too much aircraft around you....turns on a sixpence too.

I think I will be flying it again. Nothing else to add than that really, just though I'd share it.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yeah, the Cub is a wonderful little aircraft. I've got over 200 hrs. in the old J3 and I loved every minute of it!:D :D

The old girl even got me my first job as a flight instructor years ago. I had been beating the bushes trying to get a job, but the all I got was a big fat NO. Then a flight school bought a C140 to offer taildragger check-outs, but none of the current instructors had any taildragger time. At the time it was considered a minor point by the school's owner, that however changed after the CFI groundlooped the 140 on the very first flight:rolleyes: doing some impressive damage to the left wing. Once the aircraft was repaired they offered me a job as taildragger instructor, and I got over 200 hrs on the 140:D :D

However, I believe the J3 Cub to be one of the best teachers available out there. It won't bite you, but it will deffinatly tell you when you have to correct your ways of handling an aircraft. The Cub certainly taught me a lot more than any 'instructor' ever did.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Originally posted by galdri
Yeah, the Cub is a wonderful little aircraft. I've got over 200 hrs. in the old J3 and I loved every minute of it!:D :D

The old girl even got me my first job as a flight instructor years ago. I had been beating the bushes trying to get a job, but the all I got was a big fat NO. Then a flight school bought a C140 to offer taildragger check-outs, but none of the current instructors had any taildragger time. At the time it was considered a minor point by the school's owner, that however changed after the CFI groundlooped the 140 on the very first flight:rolleyes: doing some impressive damage to the left wing. Once the aircraft was repaired they offered me a job as taildragger instructor, and I got over 200 hrs on the 140:D :D

However, I believe the J3 Cub to be one of the best teachers available out there. It won't bite you, but it will deffinatly tell you when you have to correct your ways of handling an aircraft. The Cub certainly taught me a lot more than any 'instructor' ever did.

You can always rely on a taildragger to teach you something even if only how to embarrass yourself when you get it wrong. They certainly remind a pilot what feet are for