A small success

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 3 months

Popham's August Bank Holiday Aero/motorbike jumble was hit by the weather and was not exactly busy but I had a minor success. I had had a new key cut for the hanger and it was too tight. So,. I bought a small file and made it fit.

That meant I can now open the hanger door.

So I did.

Melv

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks like a Staggerwing on the right, possibly a red Luscombe and a Pitts?

Melv, will the Cloudster be getting cowlings, or is the engine intended to remain uncowled? Looking very nice so far. :)

Member for

20 years 3 months

What are the others in the hangar?

Aeroplanes,

definitely aeroplanes,

I know because I checked.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Looks like a Staggerwing on the right,

one point for starters

possibly a red Luscombe

Luscombe? LUSCOMBE? Would I put my aeroplane in a hangar with a LUSCOMBE?

well, actually I would but that is a Cessna Airmaster

and a Pitts?

Actually two Pitts, an S1 and an S2. The S1 is Philip Meeson's one that he has had for years. Not a bad hanger really, five radial engine aeroplanes and two Pitts!

Melv, will the Cloudster be getting cowlings, or is the engine intended to remain uncowled? Looking very nice so far. :)

Cowlings are being done now. The earlier photos had the cowling ring still attached. I have taken it off to make a jig for the cowling. Lots of stuff done in the last couple of weeks since it went in to the hanger.

Should get the engine runs done soon.

Melv

Member for

20 years

Not a bad hanger really, five radial engine aeroplanes and two Pitts!

Not bad at all. I am excited to see when you will complete those engine tests. Keep us posted.

J.V.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The S1 is Philip Meeson's one that he has had for years. Melv

That calls back to mind one of my earliest visits to Old Warden. Must have been about 1976 and the Rothmans Aerobatic Team were displaying in their Pittss.

Mr Meeson developed an acute engine problem and demonstrated an inch-perfect dead stick landing. Great flying.

He runs Channel Express now doesn't he?

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

He runs Channel Express now doesn't he?

Moggy

Dunno, I seem to remember hearing something about that ages ago. The Pitts apparently doesn't fly much but he won't sell it for understandable sentimental reasons. The S2 is out a lot as Paul Ambrose, who owns it, flies a lot during the week. The other stuff in there is the Nieuport 17 replica and a Yak 52. There is also a Piper Lance (I think) that normally lives there but it is sick at the moment and is without engine (I may not know much about aviation but I think that is important!)

It is nice to open those doors and see a 1940 Airmaster, 1939 Rearwin and 1937 Staggerwing and all with space around them.

Melv

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Airmaster (C165) is for sale and very nice it is too.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very nice Melv , she looks great - a good job well done . :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Any progress Melv ??

Member for

20 years 3 months

Any progress Melv ??

Lots of stuff that looks like nothing has happened! Split-pins etc. Has anyone else noticed how spilt-pins have a homing instinct? You stab your finger and then two minutes later the same pin goes in the same hole and hurts even more?

Prop on, just needs final tracking. Oil tank full (first time in 12 years) fuel going in V. soon. New battery coming next week (old one completely shagged) leg fairings being done, trim sorted finally (snarl snarl) cowling jig possibly being made today, wing straps to be repainted.

Off next week to Jersey, so next work will be next weekend.

Interior also going in. Final rigging to be done and then . . .

Mountains of paper.

melv

Member for

21 years 1 month

Melvyn,

how did you sort the trim out ? - oil in the tube or some other ingenious method of lubrication.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Melvyn,

how did you sort the trim out ? - oil in the tube or some other ingenious method of lubrication.

KY Jelly and Hamsters. The Hamsters pull the cable through the tubes to help out the action of the pulley.

God knows what they wanted the KY for.

actually, the cable had got twisted. It is still crap but better crap.

Melv