Blackbushe Aero Club

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Can anyone who flies from this historic airfield please throw some light on this.

I understand that Don "Pathfinder" Bennet set up the Blackbushe Aero Club in the 1950s with one of his ex- Pathfinder colleagues - Ken Gray - as its Secretary and believe it subsequently became Three Counties Aero Club.

Can anyone confirm this please!

Original post

Member for

12 years 9 months

Blackbushe Aero Club

LION ROCK
I took my PPL course at Blackbushe Aero Club. It was on the western end of 25, on the grass, next to the A30. We had a couple of portacabins and two Condor aircraft, the CFI was Andy Aldridge.Three Counties Aero Club was a separate entity and used 152s and PA180s. The CFI was Derek Johnson who moved to Sebring in Florida to instruct there. Sadly BAC expired, TCAC are still there under another name. I was there at the end of the fifties, start of the sixties and the airfield owner was Doug Arnold who used to drive round his 'kingdom' in a Rolls Royce dispensing 'wisdon' to us plebs. A few people I remember were, Trevor Jones, Jo Cush the Brown brothers and Andy and Hazel Aldridge. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who was at BAC during my time.

Member for

13 years 1 month

LION ROCK
I took my PPL course at Blackbushe Aero Club. It was on the western end of 25, on the grass, next to the A30. We had a couple of portacabins and two Condor aircraft, the CFI was Andy Aldridge.Three Counties Aero Club was a separate entity and used 152s and PA180s. The CFI was Derek Johnson who moved to Sebring in Florida to instruct there. Sadly BAC expired, TCAC are still there under another name. I was there at the end of the fifties, start of the sixties and the airfield owner was Doug Arnold who used to drive round his 'kingdom' in a Rolls Royce dispensing 'wisdon' to us plebs. A few people I remember were, Trevor Jones, Jo Cush the Brown brothers and Andy and Hazel Aldridge. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who was at BAC during my time.

In the '70's Doug had a huge Mercedes limo to cruise the airfield...

Member for

15 years 11 months

And also a big Cigar!:D

Member for

15 years 2 months

As somebody who has written a short book on Blackbushe's history I can expand a little.
Blackbushe was a govenment operated commercial airport until closed in may 1960. In the following year the part that was privately owned was sold to Don Bennett and reopened in its current form in October 1961. Blackbushe Aeroclub was formed at the same time. There were other clubs formed in the 60's including Three Counties, ICL and Aeromart. Three Counties became the dominant club after Doug Arnold brought the airfield in 1972 and got the other clubs to move on. Three Counties became European Fliers around 1990and went bankrupt in 2001. Its interests were taken over by Redair in 2002.

Member for

15 years 11 months

As somebody who has written a short book on Blackbushe's history I can expand a little.
Blackbushe was a govenment operated commercial airport until closed in may 1960. In the following year the part that was privately owned was sold to Don Bennett and reopened in its current form in October 1961. Blackbushe Aeroclub was formed at the same time. There were other clubs formed in the 60's including Three Counties, ICL and Aeromart. Three Counties became the dominant club after Doug Arnold brought the airfield in 1972 and got the other clubs to move on. Three Counties became European Fliers around 1990and went bankrupt in 2001. Its interests were taken over by Redair in 2002.

Think I might have that book. :) A great read.