OAT Rad Nav Manual Wanted

Profile picture for user BlueRobin

Member for

19 years 11 months

If anyone is willing to part with the OAT Rad Nav (Vol 11) manual for a small fee, I would be interested.

It's the one with the Jet2 aircraft on the front.

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/images/prod/prop_1_5973.jpg

Let me know.

Cheers

Original post
Profile picture for user Deano

Member for

16 years 4 months

Neil

I haven't got the OAT one but as you know I have the BGS one, you are welcome to borrow it for as long as you like.

Dean

Member for

19 years 11 months

Is it any good?

These VOR radial questions can be a nightmare, can't they?

Member for

16 years 4 months

Well I passed with 97% or something similar, only 1 question wrong in the exam, it is good yes.

The radial questions can be a bit of a nightmare, I guess it's all about visualization, it's best to draw it on a piece of paper.
Just think of the VOR, and the radials emanate out from the centre, so the 000 or 360 radial will go (magnetic) North, and the 180 radial goes South (obviously), so let's say you are to the North East and heading South West "To" the beacon, if you rotate your OBS on the HSI you will get the CDI needle to read 2 things when centred, it will read 045 degrees "FROM" and 225 degrees "TO", so because you are heading "TO" the beacon (we know this because of our direction) then it fits that we are tracking the 225 radial, but the truth is that we are really tracking the 045 Radial in the reciprocal direction, if we are heading away from the beacon in the NE again then they will still read the exact same way, so from this you can ascertain your position.
If you don't know where you are in relation to the beacon you can tune and ident a VOR, then rotate the OBS to get a "FROM" reading, this will show you what radial you are on, so a 110 "FROM" reading shows you are just East South East of the beacon etc etc.
You can basically do the same thing to determine your position from a particular radial.

I also have the BGS feedback papers as well :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

I get the 180 thing, but it is the questions where it says "you are on X radial flying Y magnetic with Z set on the OBI" that fox. :o :)

I'll send you a mail in a bit ...

Having seen the Oxford book, I think I'd "get it" due to the better use of diagrams comparitive to Jepp.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Without me getting my feedback papers out can you post a couple of the specific questions?

Profile picture for user met24

Member for

16 years 3 months

flying Y magnetic

An ordinary VOR display neither knows nor cares in which direction you're pointing or travelling. So that bit of information is irrelevant.

An HSI knows which direction you're pointing, but not which direction you're actually travelling.

Deano, at the risk of sounding cheeky, I wouldn't mind a copy of those BGS papers too, if you're feeling generous :) PM me?