Cirrus Jet First Flight

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

The prototype Cirrus jet flew the first time today.
It can seat up to 7 in a pressurized cabin with a speed of 300kts at a max. altitude of 25,000 ft.

Shades of He 162? :D

Cirrus Photo

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

Shades of He 162?

Indeed.

Ironically, Heinkel once projected a bizjet that would have combined a new fuselage with the wings and tail surfaces of the Fouga Magister, which Heinkel had built in the late fifties and early sixties. As far as I know, the bizjet was never built.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I had never heard that...
But it seems several bizjets (real or projected) had their start in military aircraft...

-There was a Douglas proposal to refit F3D Skyknights as bizjets..I understand that Ed Heinemann was involved.
-John Morgan proposed fitting surplus Vampires with a six seat fuselage (I believe in the early 70s..sadly nothing came of it..it would have been a very early single-engine VLJ)
-Cessna had plans four a 4-seat civil T-37.
-The French Paris jet had a civil career after being designed for the military
-And of course, the wings (and some systems) of the early Learjets (one word then) were adapted from the Swiss P-16.
-Both the NAA Sabreliner and the Lockheed JetStar were offered to the USAF before commercial production started...but they were both clearly transports so not much was done to adapt them as bizjets. I've read that early Sabreliners even had a "bail-out" hole in the flightdeck.