Convert NPPL to Single Engine licence (JAA PPL) ?

Hi all

I am currently training for my NPPL in a c42 which i understand is not classed as a SSEA, i found this below :

"The holder of a valid NPPL with Microlight Class Rating or UK PPL (M) licence without restrictions
who wishes to obtain a SSEA Class Rating shall:
a. Produce the NPPL or UK PPL (M);
b. Produce logbook evidence of currency on Microlight aircraft;
c Carry out such SSEA conversion training as is judged necessary by the FI(A) or CRI(SPA)
conducting the training to achieve the required standard for the applicant to take the NPPL
NST and GST in a SSEA. This training must include:
(1) Not less than 1 hour of dual instrument appreciation;
(2) 2 hours stall awareness/spin avoidance training;
(3) Differences training for Microlight pilots whose Microlight flying has been solely on
flexwing aircraft;
(4) Not less than the 32 hours required minimum total flight time for the NPPL with SSEA
Class Rating, which may be a combination of both Microlight and SSEA flying.
d. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examination in Aircraft (General) & Principles of Flight;
e. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;
f. Pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA."

Basically my question is according to the above, could i get my NPPL microlight licence in my C42 which takes 35 hours minimum anyway and then do 3 hours experience in a SSEA using the 35 hours from the c42 to transfer to the SSEA licence so i dont have to do another 35 in a SSEA ?

(obviously i know the hours are just industry minimums and it can take alot more depending on the student, i just dont want to do 35 hours in the c42 and then do the whole same thing again just to get a single engine licence)

Thanks in advance !!

Profile picture for user EGTC


Member for

10 years 8 months

Posts: 2,828

I'm currently upgrading from an NPPL to the JAA PPL so I can carry on and do the Commercial stuff, but I actually dont know the answer to your question. I'd suggest asking on pprune, or even doing a search on there as the question may of been answered previously.


Member for

10 years 10 months

Posts: 2

o brilliant , ok well forget what i said at the start cus thats exactly what im trying to acheive so that i can do commercial training aswell so how are you doing it ?

Mark A

Member for

13 years 7 months

Posts: 96

I helped a chap do such a conversion a few years ago. Effectively I just had to bring him to the standard required for the NST and GST for SSEA and cover the basic instrument flying etc.. About 5-6 hours did the job if I remember correctly.

As its the addition of a class rating rather than an initial issue, I believe you could do the training at an unlicensed field too.