RAF crew killed in mid-air 14/6.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

AEF Flights resumed as at 09:45 today

My brother, who is an Air Cadet instructor in West Sussex Wing tells me AEF has been resumed as of this morning.

Paul F

Member for

16 years 2 months

Whilst not wishing to play devil's advocate or apportion blame may I suggest that one or both pilots were not keeping as good a look out as they should in what is a relatively busy patch of sky at weekends, and even busier last weekend as there were gliding championships taking place too whiic always increases aerial activity around this area regardless of where they are being held.

Not being contrary here but do remember that Gliders especially are VERY hard to see at times. The slender fuselages and wings make them hard to spot against almost anything from any distance, only when the sun flashes off the tops of the wings in banking are they easy(er) to see.

In response to the side-by-side seating thing thare are +ves and -ves (I fly in a very simmilar aircraft to the Grob). The person next to you does make it harder to the side, however it is possible to see round them and out the back and ront for both people. The side-by-side also makes training easier as the student can more easily see what the instructor is doing and vice-versa.

M

Member for

19 years 2 months

How about red, yellow or blue then (and no I'm not being fascetious) - bands across the wings and around the fuselage like the yellow (or white bands?) on the black Tucanos seen at airshows?

Anything to give a contrast to make the Tutors (and white civilian gliders too) more conspicuous angainst a uniform sky background.

Or is it paint of any sort that increases degradation of the composites?

Paul F

It is the temperature rise caused by dark colours absorbing light/heat,the skin temp difference between (say) a white and red area is considerable.
It would be the a/c design authority who would limit the colour and size/position of any conspicuity panels.
My old composite glider had red nose,wingtip and rudder areas to try and give some conspicuity/contrast.

cheers baz

Member for

18 years 2 months

ATC Viking Gliders have had large Dayglo orange bands on the wings for a while. If it can be done on a Grob Glider, It can be done on a Grob Aircraft. However, I don't think the lack of colour on the Tutor plays a part in either of the accidents which have happened to AEF aircraft this year. Lack of any colour on the Glider which was hit from below is another story (there are a number of photo's of that aircraft on the net).

Member for

18 years 11 months

I once flew in an ATC Grob Vigilant which had the large dayglo bands on the wings (i've flown 2 or 3 others which didn't have them) - the pilot mentioned he wasn't keen on them as they disrupted the outline of the aircraft when viewed at a distance

Member for

19 years 2 months

ATC Viking Gliders have had large Dayglo orange bands on the wings for a while. If it can be done on a Grob Glider, It can be done on a Grob Aircraft. However, I don't think the lack of colour on the Tutor plays a part in either of the accidents which have happened to AEF aircraft this year. Lack of any colour on the Glider which was hit from below is another story (there are a number of photo's of that aircraft on the net).

The ATC glider dayglow panels are not universally liked,and to me they do not seem very dark/bright anyway.
I absolutely agree that the lack of colour on grobs is unlikely to be a major contribution to the 2 ATC accidents...however it is in my view a very poor colour scheme,because the coloured areas are blue which is one of the least conspicuous colours available.

Member for

18 years 10 months

The Cirrus 22 is fitted with a ballistic parachute system called CAPS, it has been used in anger a few times and works very well, bringing the aeroplane and crew safely down to earth together. It's not a very big system and they are being fitted to more and more different types of aircraft. I have flown as a passenger in chipmunks, bulldogs and navy grobs since the early 70s and realistically I doubt very much in most emergencies I would have abandoned any in a double quick time. Most of these flights operate below 5,000' giving aircrews little time to escape effectively (let alone novices)
It may now be time to look at this system and if possible retro fit it to our tutor/grob fleet.
It pains me to see another tragic loss.

Please don't chastise me for my opinion ( it may be tosh, but it's my tosh)

Baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

The Cirrus 22 is fitted with a ballistic parachute system called CAPS, it has been used in anger a few times and works very well, bringing the aeroplane and crew safely down to earth together. It's not a very big system and they are being fitted to more and more different types of aircraft. I have flown as a passenger in chipmunks, bulldogs and navy grobs since the early 70s and realistically I doubt very much in most emergencies I would have abandoned any in a double quick time. Most of these flights operate below 5,000' giving aircrews little time to escape effectively (let alone novices)
It may now be time to look at this system and if possible retro fit it to our tutor/grob fleet.
It pains me to see another tragic loss.

Please don't chastise me for my opinion ( it may be tosh, but it's my tosh)

Baz

Hi Baz
I have never sat in a Tutor but I have heard that the canopy jettison system is perhaps not ideal,and perhaps not as good as the Bulldog system.
As you say...now that ballistic rescue systems have matured a bit perhaps they could be considered for the tutor replacement,but i would guess they really have to be an integral part of an a/c design,would it would be possible to retrofit to an a/c structure ?? also the tutor is not overblessed in power/weight ratio anyway.

cheers baz

Member for

18 years 10 months

Hi Baz
I have never sat in a Tutor but I have heard that the canopy jettison system is perhaps not ideal,and perhaps not as good as the Bulldog system.
As you say...now that ballistic rescue systems have matured a bit perhaps they could be considered for the tutor replacement,but i would guess they really have to be an integral part of an a/c design,would it would be possible to retrofit to an a/c structure ?? also the tutor is not overblessed in power/weight ratio anyway.

cheers baz

Don't see why not.

I was looking at this system fitted to a cirrus and another on a (ultralight?) Gorilla. It didn't look that heavy and you can redeem some weight by not having individual chutes etc.

cheers baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

Don't see why not.

I was looking at this system fitted to a cirrus and another on a (ultralight?) Gorilla. It didn't look that heavy and you can redeem some weight by not having individual chutes etc.

cheers baz

Mounting points,structural modifications/strong points,storage space(for system),weight and CofG,positioning of system for safe deployment taking into account all of above....may not be that easy on a light a/c with a sliding canopy !

regards baz

Member for

18 years 10 months

Mounting points,structural modifications/strong points,storage space(for system),weight and CofG,positioning of system for safe deployment taking into account all of above....may not be that easy on a light a/c with a sliding canopy !

regards baz

I'm not an engineer or a designer, more of a dreamer who often talks tosh, however, if you throw enough money (and beer) at a problem, engineers often come up with solutions. Ballistic parachutes are the way forward.

cheers Baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

Ballistic parachutes are the way forward.

cheers Baz

I totally agree baz,I just think that a retrofit to an existing design may not be that easy.

cheers baz

Member for

24 years 3 months

AFAIK, the CAPS in the Cirrus SR-series aircraft has been used with both success and failure (involving fatalities) a number of times. It (or similar systems) might be an option for other aircraft types as well in the future, but one should be aware that it does not guarantee for survival. If possible, a forced landing is often preferrable.

Regarding aircraft colour-/contrast markings; how effective are they?
After what I've heard, orange colour stripes often used on white fiberglass gliders have not been reported as effective.