Light Aircraft Scrap in the Midlands?

Member for

10 years 3 months

Hey, I'm a bit new to this so I don't know whether I'm on the right forum or not. I am a huge aviation enthusiast. I go to as many airshows as possible and spent a fair bit of my free time at BHX at the end of the runway in the park, and I'm also training for my PPL at Coventry :). I live just north of Birmingham in Sutton Coldfield and I was wondering if anybody on this site new of any scrap yards or similar where there are/have been scrap aircraft parts from small light aircraft lying around, in the Midlands area, as I don't have a clue where to start searching. I would love to get my hands on one, especially the cockpit and fuselage, so I can restore it. It would be great practise for me as I am going to start a aviation engineering degree at Coventry Uni in September. I will be most appreciative, no matter how small the information is. Many thanks, Hannah xx
Original post
Profile picture for user Newforest

Member for

14 years 6 months

Welcome to the Forum Hannah and good luck with your quest, keep us informed of your progress! I was recently in the south of England looking at an AA.5 Cheetah fuselage with canopy, but otherwise pretty well gutted and on enquiring about its future, was told that it would probably be rebuilt in the fullness of time! Gave me food for thought that a factory built machine, basically a shell could be rebuilt to airworthy standard by a presumably qualified and approved maintenance organization.

Member for

10 years 3 months

Thanks for the reply's back guys, appreciate it :) Thanks for that link Ben, it has helped a bit, unfortunatley some of the links on that thread aren't working anymore. Oh well..shall keep on looking. That AA-5 Cheetah sounds really interesting! would of been perfect for what I wanted. Pitty you couldn't get it. Yeah it is quite amazing what some organizations can do! Been looking around today, every scrap yard i came across was just cars, cars, cars, don't think there'll be much in Birmingham.:( I think I might go and have a look round RAF Upper Heyford when I get chance to. Might be something there, seeing as the USAF just left in 1994 leaving the hangars full of junk apparently, most of the base is abandoned, they only use the base for storage and police car training. Hopefully I'll get lucky :) Anymore information you come across will be greatly appreciated :) Many thanks Hannah xx
Profile picture for user Scott Marlee

Member for

12 years

Hi Hannah, a friend of mine purchased a Piper Tomahawk for me on ebay for £52, have a look on there, im hoping to turn mine into a simulator let me know how you get on....if all else fails...have a weekend up north and you could help restore the traumahawk? Regards, Scott North East Aircraft Museum