"travellers"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

Basingstoke council have a startling new strategy for “travellers” and their camps.

Travellers for the uninformed, is the PC description of people who decide that they can park and live anywhere that they like, leave waste (animal, vegetable, mineral and human) behind them and move along when it seems to be at a depth of between waist and knee high leaving others to clear up and pay for it.

Rather than use the powers that, according to the local MP, the police have to move them along if in the view of the officer the site appears to be anything other than transitory (I forget the exact phrase) the council have started digging earth works. So there are now piles of top soil on grass verges on industrial estates, park areas and verges. Parts of the town resemble the Somme now, all designed to deter such people. Another case where a simple law could be passed and enforced by seizing caravans, 4X4’s etc, once the site is established. Again, people who flout society by camping where they choose, and protected and subsidised by that society.

A camp of about 20 caravans is now on a council football pitch, with piles of wood being burned, washing strung up between goal posts, and piles of rubbish strewn about the place. People who have arranged to play at the week-end, and paid in advance for the season can't play, a minor loss in life but why should they loose out and why do I have to cover the costs via my local tax etc?

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

We went through all of this a while ago. A nightmare! You'd better be careful about what you say - you might be shot for breaching someone's human rights.:mad:

Member for

16 years 5 months

A camp of about 20 caravans is now on a council football pitch, with piles of wood being burned, washing strung up between goal posts, and piles of rubbish strewn about the place. People who have arranged to play at the week-end, and paid in advance for the season can't play, a minor loss in life but why should they loose out and why do I have to cover the costs via my local tax etc?

BSG, is the football pitch council owned, as if it is and the rent is being paid to them then surely they have a legal obligation to keep the pitches clear and suitable for use by those who are paying.?

As for human rights.. why is it always the rights of scum and law breakers that is put before those of the majority law abiding population..?

Member for

16 years 7 months

Gershwin Road playing fields, 6 football pitches, a couple of cricket pitches as well, you can see it from the M3 as you drive past. All council owned.....its shocking :mad:

Member for

18 years 9 months

.....I know a bloke who's got a gyrocopter....................

Member for

19 years 11 months

Is he, by God? :eek:

Has he seen a doctor?

Member for

14 years 1 month

That'll require more than ointment :D

Member for

16 years 7 months

.....I know a bloke who's a gyrocopter....................

and the current Mrs BSG-75 thinks she is always right, it always scares me how rampant these mental delusions are in society.....

Member for

20 years 7 months

and the current Mrs BSG-75 thinks she is always right, it always scares me how rampant these mental delusions are in society.....

Sorry, Jon, that made me laugh! :D

Member for

15 years 5 months

I think trying to kick these "travellers" off of places is going about it the wrong way. Try and seal them in, they'll soon sod off! :D

Member for

18 years 9 months

That will teach me to read what I write before I post!!!:D

Member for

19 years 11 months

Too late!

We all saw what you wrote originally..... :diablo:

Member for

18 years 4 months

Displacement

I used to work in bird control dealing with the problem of flocks of gulls which would cause hazards on the airfield. Before moving them on it was important to work out where they would go and also when it was safe to move them.We could deny them the use of areas close to the runway, the runway itself and the close in land uder the approaches. However you needed to be very aware of displacement and in some cases the act of scaring birds at the wrong time could cause an accident.

Seems a lesson for dealing with travellers is being learned the hard way, they will always find somewhere and it is better to have them on a proper site than on a football pitch.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Oh well it seems that the council have failed to provide a proper site in the region so it is not surprising that this has happened.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Too late!

We all saw what you wrote originally..... :diablo:

And we laughed...Oh how we laughed! :D

Even if councils do provide sites you still get them causing chaos by turning up where they please. Or biting the hand that feeds them- Bridlington provided them with a site with facilities, washrooms etc. They promptly ripped out anything that was weigh-in-able, flogged it to the scrappy, then said the site was uninhabitable due to the facilities not working (doh!) then went back to squatting on whatever chunk of land they fancied. :mad:

Member for

16 years 7 months

Oh well it seems that the council have failed to provide a proper site in the region so it is not surprising that this has happened.

'Fraid not, they built them a nice site just off the motorway, power hook ups, plumbing etc and it was trashed and "went against the free spirit". "free" being the appropriate word, given that a fee was charged to pitch there...... so its all boarded up now and oddly enough, they put earth works across the entrance to stop them getting back in when they wouldn't use it when it was open.....:confused:

Member for

18 years 9 months

I used to work in bird control ...............However you needed to be very aware of displacement and in some cases the act of scaring birds at the wrong time could cause an accident.

What is wrong in using your 'last resort' method on them??

(check post before uploading)

Member for

14 years

What is wrong in using your 'last resort' method on them??

(check post before uploading)

Last resort doesn't work with these sort.
They are hard cases, nutters. In the days when society was also filled with hard cases, these "Thieving Gypsy Bast****" as Viz called them, would indeed be run out of town or worse. Now, the people that think they are hard are just scally no-marks who assume using a knife on a similar age/younger child is "Hard". Also, the law would fall agin the true society member taking it upon himself to rid the town of the stench of homeless dole abusing car thieving burglars.

They are a 100% insult to the term Gypsy, I know this before anyone tells me off!
I also know Viz had to publish an apology on behalf of the Egyptian/Romanian culture.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Last resort in the bird control world as Scotavia would tell you, is a 12 gauge!:diablo:

Member for

14 years

Last resort in the bird control world as Scotavia would tell you, is a 12 gauge!:diablo:

Aah, but you have to get too close. I forget the spread of a long barrel 12 bore - is it 1 yard diameter for 60 feet? Ok, at 60 feet you're going to part his hair with lead but they can catch you in their souped up 4x4 Porche things.

Member for

18 years 9 months

12 gauge No 1 (solid) shot, full metal jacket, using an L32 5 shot semi automatic.;)