Government makes plain packaging compulsory on cigarette packs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Will plain packaging stop you from killing yourself??

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/federal-government-to-make-plain-packaging-compulsory-on-cigarette-packs/story-e6frf7jo-1225859576545

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I'm not sure if the governments get it.
I don't smoke, never have...filthy habit.
But from what I see at store, a lot of cheap brands are already in plain packages.

BTW: the state has just raised the tax another $1 a pack so a pack of name brand killers is about $8.00

Still people are addicted...I don't think they're going to stop over a plain wrapper or higher cost.

Member for

18 years 3 months

I just think this is the most absurd thing I have read today. I don't smoke, have never and will never smoke as I don't particularly want to die young. I am totally for a ban on smoking in public places as not only does it stop passive smoking (to an extent) but also helps to further stigmatise those that do and hopefully that will help them to quit. I am also in favour of the latest proposals to have cigarettes removed from public displays, not sure if it will have much of an effect but worth a go.

However this idea of making manufacturers sell their cancer sticks in plain packaging is just stupid, it all just seems so childish and is certainly not going to stop people from smoking!

Member for

16 years

I too am a keen non-smoker and totally in favour of smoking bans in public buildings (not so sure about open spaces, but I do find cigarette smoke in the street unpleasant).

However, I think that the main point of cigarette packaging and advertising (these days, anyway) is not to get people to start smoking, but to persuade those who already smoke to pick a particular brand.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I am ambivalent on this. I haven't smoked for 40 years and loathe the habit. Governments protest their desire to inculcate the no-smoking habit in the young, meanwhile millions of people continue to do what they, at the moment, are free to do within severely restrictive parametres.

The one thing they could do, and which they have not fought shy of in other areas, is to increase the tax on smoking, dramatically.

Ooops, I forgot, they desperately need the revenue............;)

Member for

14 years 2 months

How's this going to stop people smoking? I really don't see the point. Do they really think smokers will go to the shop, and not seeing the brands there, forget what they went in for, or not bother? I despair...:rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 6 months

I have never smoked and have never had the urge to. But one thing I can be certain of is that I if I were a smoker I would not care whether they came in a plain box, one with flashing lights or a black plastic sack.
Somebody tell the government its not the box that gets smoked as they seem to have neglected this fact.

I agreed with banning smoking in the workplace and the places I work have improved greatly due to it, Although in effect it just meant everybody stands outside instead now, And every office block and building can be spotted miles off by watching out for the smoke clouds.

I also think that cutting the advertising was a sensible move too, But I can not see how this idea with the plain box will work, Infact it could have opposite move by making smoking seem taboo which often appeals more to the young.

Also how much does the government really want to stop smokers?, surely stopping them will leave a huge hole in the taxes raised from this habit, I assume more profit is made from smoking than is spent on hospital care for smokers.

Member for

15 years 4 months

cant see the point , now we'll just have plain cigarette packet litter thrown on the floor instead of coloured ones to accompany all the fag ends strewn about like confetti :mad:

Member for

18 years 9 months

Will it affect my montecristos,i don't think so.

Smoking shares the same risk of premature death as obesity (about 33% each). So why are they not putting the same effort into curbing obesity? Tax juicy cheeseburgers and sell them in plain packaging? It is equally absurd. Some smokers I know have just switched to cheaper imported product which is probably twice as toxic (it certainly smells that way) and I don't think that they would care two hoots if it came wrapped in newspaper or the fancy packaging of yesteryear.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Several ppl missing the point here.

Branding is a key factor in getting people on the hook. To replace the ppl giving up / dying, the industry has to encourage people to smoke. Mainly children aged 10 to 14. A decent packet image can sway a kid in that direction, or rather in the direction of the lifestyle that brand depicts.
This is why Ferrari F1 cars carry the Marlboro bar-code on the centre fin.

I am a smoker, trying to give up, but work is sooooooooooooooo ship at the moment, if I gave up I would eat concrete, after I'd hit somebody with it.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Cobblers PeeDee. The biggest thing that starts kids that age smoking is peer pressure. They don't start because the box looks pretty. Good luck to you with giving up though :)

Member for

18 years 8 months

Tax juicy cheeseburgers and sell them in plain packaging?

Oi, leave my cheeseburgers alone. You've been warned! :dev2:

Member for

15 years 1 month

It's 33 years since I last had a lovely fag,and I could still fancy one whenever anyone lights up near me. I don't think the liking for smoking ever entirely leaves you, and plain packets won't make a scrap of difference.
It's tough but you'll manage it, PeeDee. Keep thinking of the money you'll save.

Member for

15 years 2 months

On the contrary, Bumble, the yearning does eventually disappear - especially if you keep away from those nasty people who do it in your presence (after all, they can't do it in many public places, apart from the great outdoors.

Besides which, think about the prospect of living long and prospering (paraphrase!) - literally 'costs a packet!' nowadays.;)

Good luck in your attempt!

Member for

14 years 1 month

Cobblers PeeDee. The biggest thing that starts kids that age smoking is peer pressure. They don't start because the box looks pretty. Good luck to you with giving up though :)

Yous misreadin or I's mistypin.

The "Start" is peer pressure, the brand decision is adverts and packaging. And the whole concept of marketing / branding is in fact to make somebody buy something they didn't realise they needed. For any product, not just the smokes. And that's straight from the mouth of Phil Kotler, he's the Dogs B of Marketing. Helped me get 95% in the marketing part of my degree.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Yup and this thread is beginning to run in parallel to the smoking one - for the same reasons.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Cheers PeeDee, Ive just googled Phil Kotler and its going in my assignment:):):)

Member for

20 years 2 months

All this is going to do is save the cigarette company's money on packaging, it must be cheaper to produce a plain pack than one with a lot of branding on it.

Member for

20 years 4 months

I do not now smoke , if these ciggys are supposed to be bad for your health as the Govt are always telling you WHY don't they totaly BAN them ????:mad::mad:
If they are so concerned are they prepared to lose the massive ammount of taxes they get ??? MONEY BEFORE HEALTH are they prepared to put HEALTH before MONEY, I do not think so. :eek::eek:

Member for

14 years 2 months

Hypocrisy rules or rather expediency. It is the same augument as banning alcohol as, arguably, being a far more injurious drug than cannabis.