Twenty films that make men cry

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years

This is just a guess,but there are probably a few more men than women who use this forum.
So chaps,have any of these films made you cry ? Or is it the stiff upper lip for you every time ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

I saw this, I can go with:

Shawshank Redemption (I just to see my friend and shake his hand)
Up - don't ask me, but the first 10 mins.....
Field Of Dreams - all that just to play baseball with his father...

Member for

17 years 10 months

Saving Private Ryan springs to mind. The scene where Mrs Ryan is at the sink and sees the staff car coming up the road,when the Officers get out of the car she slumps to the ground. Gets me everytime.

Member for

20 years 7 months

There's only one film on that list that I agree with: Babe, except it's the scene where Babe is crying for his mother...

Other films to include in my own list are:

Dark Blue World: the moment where Franta returns home and his own dog doesn't recognise her absent master.

Champions: Aldaniti and Bob Champion win the Grand National, amidst Carl Davis' classic rousing score.

The Incredible Journey (original): the animals make it home.

Two Brothers: the tigers find each other after years apart.

Amanda: a Shire horse gives her life to save a boy's father trapped in an overturned pick-up.

Shaun of the Dead (yes, really!): Shaun's mum dying.

Toy Story 3: see it and you'll find out why...

Armageddon: Bruce Willis and Liv Tyler's final conversation...

I'm sure there's more than that....

Member for

18 years 7 months

"The Family Way" The bit where bluff, stern father John Mills suddenly breaks down and tells his son (Hywell Bennett) "It's called Life, son. You might laugh at it at your age, but one day it'll break your bloody heart." Also (not a movie, I know) the part in "The Office" Christmas special where Dawn goes back to the party for Tim. Never fails to open the floodgates. :o

Member for

20 years 2 months

E.T.:D

Member for

20 years 7 months

I thought of another - Moulin Rouge!. Not at the end, but the scene where Christian walks out of the Moulin Rouge to confront Satine and The Duke....

Member for

15 years 8 months

Babe and Fluke does it for me:o

Member for

18 years 5 months

I agree with Armageddon. A silly one that gets me, that is a bit cheesy (in this scene at least), is in Con Air when Nicholas Cage finally gets to meet his daughter and gives her the bunny.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I'd agree with Con Air. In fact, I'd even add Die Hard to the list. Come on - McClane fights off the baddies and wins back his wife on Christmas Eve. What's not to like?!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Up - don't ask me, but the first 10 mins.....

I've never seen Up, but by all accounts I really should...

Member for

16 years 7 months

Absolutely none, I'm a man!

I suppose the Sound Barrier, because of the hopes and dreams of our once great aviation industry portrayed dosen't become the reality wished for, and the test-pilot having a break down that his wife dosen't realise, can give a lump in the throat, but cry - never!

Member for

15 years

Absolutely none, I'm a man!

I'd expected more replies like that.
I have never in 62 years seen my Dad cry,not even at funerals or the death of beloved pets.I don't know how ( or why ) he does it.
Personally I never watch animal films because I'd be blubbing all the way through.What gets me reaching for the tissues is the scene in Mama Mia where Meryl Streep sings Slipping through my fingers as she helps her daughter get ready on her wedding day.
Oh,and the bit where Aragorn bows to the Hobbits.

Member for

20 years 7 months

The Lord of the Rings trilogy....

...it makes me cry because I can no longer feel sensation in my ass.... :diablo:

Member for

16 years 7 months

I'm not sure you really should share that info:eek:

Member for

15 years 8 months

Ha ha ha ha ha ha i like that:D

Member for

18 years 2 months

films dont make me cry ,but the end of Gladiator where he is dieing , is pretty close, brings a big lump in my thoat.
Also the end of the Elephant man.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I'd expected more replies like that.
I have never in 62 years seen my Dad cry,not even at funerals or the death of beloved pets.I don't know how ( or why ) he does it.
Personally I never watch animal films because I'd be blubbing all the way through.What gets me reaching for the tissues is the scene in Mama Mia where Meryl Streep sings Slipping through my fingers as she helps her daughter get ready on her wedding day.

But hearing Meryl Streep singing is more than enough to make a grown man cry :D

Member for

18 years 6 months

Life Is Beautiful and The Thief (a Russian language film) do it for me. Plenty of others but those are top of the weepy list

Member for

19 years 5 months

Field of Dreams....
A father and son reunite...it's the one film most American guys will admit to misting up over.
I realize some you may not get it because of the baseball factor...but I think the underlying message is pretty universal.

Member for

18 years 5 months

....I don't remember that in Mama Mia.....