Tax: are we being hoodwinked??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Seems strange to me that the Inland Revenue is clawing back money in this manner at this time, when there is no money about.

I will be interested how many of us will owe money (up to £1,600) and how many will be returned money (up to £400)

Is this just another bulls**t way of taking money off us?

Is no-one ever made accountable for these 'mistakes'??

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Baz

Original post

Member for

15 years 1 month

One law for them - they make a mistake, we pay; you pay it back (if the error was in your favour), even though the tax people issued the wrong coding notice.
Happened to me once. Had to pay it back, which is right and proper, isn't it?
What happened to the person who made the error?
(Answers on a P45 please).

Member for

13 years 11 months

my biggest concern is if they can't get it right and it is thier every day job !!, what chance does everyone else have ??

this has been the trouble in the uk for many years

we hastily employ university graduates with no real life experience appart from the uni bar and a gap year before they even work

and leave them in charge of people with years of experience

that instantly and rightly so think **** you , you are on your own !!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Can you imagine running a business like that! Then imagine for the last 12 months or so you have undercharged your customers without their knowledge. You then go to each and every one of them trying to claw back the fruits of YOUR **** ups. They would rightly tell you where to go and take their custom elsewhere. I've had this situation with both my ex cable TV provider and that of my ex power company. But of course in this situation we cannot go elsewhere as are talking about the State, the sole provider of the gathering of our financial contributions to it. Accountability? Don't make me laugh:mad:

Member for

15 years 1 month

Earlier this week i found myself about to eat a slice of humble pie. Out of the blue (well, postman's bag actually) I received a communication from HMRCS consisting of a covering header sheet to which was attached a cheque for a significant sum (almost 300 quidlets). The covering letter said I would be informed of the calculation under separate cover (and at further cost to the taxpayer, of course).
Postponing my pie-fest for a day or so, I awaited the said 'calculation' which, to my amazement, was for the tax year 2004/2005. Did they only check my account for the last 6 years? - who knows?
As I my sole income has been from government pensions for the last 13 years or so, how has this 'error' only just come to their attention?
The revenue system had been applying the wrong tax code that they themselves issued to another government agency - what chance has an individual working in the private sector have of receiving a fair deal from these people?
Coupled with the arrogance of the head of HMRCS who claimed that he has no need to apologise for their ****-ups, it is little wonder our country finds itself in a fiscal pickle.
I suppose I should be thankful that THEIR ERROR was made in my favour: my sympathies to those who find themselves on the other side of the balance sheet.