Tanks (yep...I'm bored)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

For longevity of service, it's hard to beat the Centurion. I believe the Israelis still have a model in service based on it.

South Africa still uses the Centurion.....they call it Oliphant. Also, the M-1 has some HORRIBLE shot traps. Especialy where the turret and hull join.

Member for

20 years 9 months

As per the lower part of the front of the modern Leopard turret. Any shot glancing off that is deflected straight onto the turret ring. Admittedly the Merkava is not without its fair share either eapecially at the rear of the turret.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Allways like Merkava...........looks like the best tank to fight from a battle position. Resupplying ammo must be heaven compared to an M-1.

Member for

17 years 7 months

...the Merkava is not without its fair share either eapecially at the rear of the turret.

Some versions of the Merkava had a nifty solution for this shot-trap.

(Photo pinched from Jmcmtank/MilitaryPhotos.Net)

Attachments

Member for

13 years 10 months

Was it the King Panzer2 that had the flack 88 as it's weapon?.If so I beleive it was only vulnerable to our Churchil tanks AP ammo, but the Churchil had to be behind the Panzer, as there was a "Sweet spot" that the Churchils inferior AP could penitrate.
I could be wrong, and stand to be corrected.
Up in my attic I have an imaculate AP Round, as used in the Churchil, I think it would give anyone in any tank a headache even if it just bounced off.It's massive.

Lincoln. 7

Member for

20 years

Was it the King Panzer2 that had the flack 88 as it's weapon?
Both the Tiger I and Tiger II were armed with a development of the original '88'.
If so I beleive it was only vulnerable to our Churchil tanks AP ammo, but the Churchil had to be behind the Panzer, as there was a "Sweet spot" that the Churchils inferior AP could penitrate.
The British 17 pounder towed AT gun (also turret-mounted on the Sherman 'Firefly') could defeat the armour of Tigers with APDS ammunition, including the frontal armour of the Tiger II.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Hi Grey Area. Thanks for the additional info, which I was unaware of.

Lincoln. 7

I mentioned my son's disdain for tanks...and yet he commands one!

Just sent me this pic. The disdain is certainly showing on his face.

Member for

13 years 6 months

theres something "powerful" about riding in one of those great snorting beasts.......especialy when on gunnery..........but the feeling never lasts.......cause sooner or later, you throw track. And at the end of the day, you have to clean that metal monster!

Thats exactly how he summed it all up, too!

Member for

17 years 7 months

Was it the King Panzer2 that had the flack 88 as it's weapon?.If so I beleive it was only vulnerable to our Churchil tanks AP ammo, but the Churchil had to be behind the Panzer, as there was a "Sweet spot" that the Churchils inferior AP could penitrate.

The Tiger I preserved (in running condition) at the Bovington Tank Museum was knocked-out by the 6-pounder (57mm) gun of a Churchill tank. Technically the 6-pounder couldn't penetrate the frontal armour of a Tiger at anything but extremely short range but the Churchill crew were lucky in that their first shot was deflected off the gun-mantle down through the thin deck armour of the Tiger.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Thanks CD, I keep meaning to go to Bovington museum, I have passed it once or twice, but failed to remember until too late.
Lincoln.7
:rolleyes:

Member for

20 years

It's well worth a visit. :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

I always found it interesting that quite a considerable number of tanks were abandoned by their crews after being hit the first time, even though no damage was taken, just because of the sound of being under fire and being hit. Still reports of that from the 1973 war. Don't know about Iraq.

Current generation fav: Challenger 2 because of its rifled gun and the ability to fire HE grenades.

Very interesting and probably trend-setting I think: Japan's Type 10. Suspension, electronics, light weight, fast. Only the wrong gun (smoothbore).

Member for

13 years 10 months

I always found it interesting that quite a considerable number of tanks were abandoned by their crews after being hit the first time, even though no damage was taken, just because of the sound of being under fire and being hit. Still reports of that from the 1973 war. Don't know about Iraq.

Current generation fav: Challenger 2 because of its rifled gun and the ability to fire HE grenades.

Very interesting and probably trend-setting I think: Japan's Type 10. Suspension, electronics, light weight, fast. Only the wrong gun (smoothbore).

I think I too would be out of my tank should it sustain a hit, damaged or not, the enemy has your range, and his 2nd shot could kill all the crew, best to fight and run away, and all that .
Lincoln. 7

:diablo:

Member for

15 years 8 months

My favourite tank...hmmmm

Member for

13 years 10 months

[QUOTE=PanzerJohn;1697646]My favourite tank...hmmmm[/QUOT

A wild guess, the electric immersion tank in the airing cupboard?

Lincoln. 7

:diablo:

Member for

20 years

My favourite tank...hmmmm

PzKpfw VI Ausf. E, by any chance? :)

Member for

16 years 8 months

have a little faith, they're beautiful people

Great movie, "upgraded" tank, I know it's real life flaws, but I just love the speaker, "Gramophone", paint shells and drain pipe ideas!

Attachments

Member for

20 years

I watched 'Kelly's Heroes' last night, too. ;)