Scram engine

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Has the scram engine been fully tested and known to have been used regularly in service even?.Is there anything newer being developed, anyone know?.

Lincoln .7

Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

AFAIK there were a number of interesting prototype air breathing engines in test at the moment.

I believe the scramjet holds the world record for airbreathing flight at mach 10+

Member for

20 years 8 months

That's a heck of a speed. I certainly have no desire to travel on anything that goes that fast. You'd almost be back before you left.

Member for

16 years 10 months

I know :diablo:

NASA flew a third version of the X-43A on November 16, 2004, achieving/maintaining a speed of Mach 9.68[2] at about 34,000 metres (112,000 ft) altitude [3] and further testing the ability of the vehicle to withstand the heat loads involved.[4]

This would be the one :)

Wikipedia X-43

Member for

13 years 9 months

I know :diablo:

This would be the one :)

Wikipedia X-43

I seem to remember seeing on TV, that the scram jet was only able to go so far up, as there was not enough air for the cobustion to be efficien
nt, and they were trying out another engine that didn't need air.

Lincoln .7

Member for

16 years 10 months

Not entirely sure - However the link speaks for itself

The small amount of O2 at the Operational hight of a scramjet would pall in comparison to the compression of the engine when scooping it up at mach 10 :diablo:

Member for

14 years 11 months

That's a heck of a speed. I certainly have no desire to travel on anything that goes that fast. You'd almost be back before you left.

Bring it on, I'm sick of the 24hr+ Oz to UK. I'll gladly accept the discomfort for 2 hours.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Hi Bruce!! I hope your not in the flooded areas over there are you?.
One of my mates has lost everything except his wife, dog an son.
Hope your O.K. :)

Lincoln ,7

Member for

14 years 1 month

I wonder how Qinetiq are getting on with their scramjet testing?