Member for

13 years 9 months

Is it not a 707 and an ex QANTAS one at that

Did I say a 707.;)

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 9 months

Actually, he doesn't own a B747.

He does, however, own a B707 which wears the classic 1960s QANTAS "V-Jet" livery and is registered N707JT. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas-(John-Travolta)/Boeing-707-138B/1823368/M/

He used to own the beautiful L-749A Constellation N494TW, but he sold it in 2005. I think it's on static display, somewhere or other. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(Historical-Aircraft/Lockheed-C-121C-Super/0374725/M/

He also used to own a Gulfstream III registered N707JA, but I think this been replaced by an Eclipse 500.

Going further back, he has also owned a Gulfstream II and an Aero Commander.

Good enough answer for you, mate? ;)

Ahem, should have gone to specsavers, just a simple typo, as the 0 is near the 4. on my manual comp.
He also owns, as well as Tom Cruise a P51, and flys it:p

Lincoln. 7
:diablo:

Member for

20 years 6 months

It depends on what genre of comedy you mean, But mine would go as follows

In Stand up
Dave Allen- One of the greatest at story telling

Billy Connoly- Much same as Dave Allen a great story teller

Jasper Carrott- Grew up with him on TV and still find him funny

Lee Hurst- Having seen him live a few times and at one gig he carried on for almost 3 hours just ad-libbing with the crowd

In Film
Norman Wisdom- A master of his craft

Leslie Nielsen- Just a fine comedy actor in my view and much missed

In Sit-coms

David Jason- Just a national treasure really.

In Comedy writing

John Sullivan- Only Fools and Horses.

Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft- Are you being served, Allo Allo, Dad's Army, Hi De Hi all shows I grew up on.

Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais- Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Whatever Happened to the Likely lads and of course Porridge.

Talking of Porridge that brings me to my ultimate here.

The late great Ronnie Barker just a genius at all he did.

Member for

13 years 9 months

It depends on what genre of comedy you mean, But mine would go as follows

In Stand up
Dave Allen- One of the greatest at story telling

Billy Connoly- Much same as Dave Allen a great story teller

Jasper Carrott- Grew up with him on TV and still find him funny

Lee Hurst- Having seen him live a few times and at one gig he carried on for almost 3 hours just ad-libbing with the crowd

In Film
Norman Wisdom- A master of his craft

Leslie Nielsen- Just a fine comedy actor in my view and much missed

In Sit-coms

David Jason- Just a national treasure really.

In Comedy writing

John Sullivan- Only Fools and Horses.

Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft- Are you being served, Allo Allo, Dad's Army, Hi De Hi all shows I grew up on.

Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais- Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Whatever Happened to the Likely lads and of course Porridge.

Talking of Porridge that brings me to my ultimate here.

The late great Ronnie Barker just a genius at all he did.

This has to be a first for me, as apart from J Carrott, I agree with everything you have said.

Lincoln .7
:diablo:

Member for

14 years 5 months

And I'll go along with them all, many of whom I have already mentioned anyway, with the exception of David Jason, who bores me to tears whatever he's doing and Lee Hurst whom I don't know well enough to rate.

Member for

14 years

Clearly touched a nerve :diablo:

Can I question the copy cat bit as I fail to connect another comedian who's style or material that he copies off.

Material....I've heard all of it before. He tells a posh version of a great deal of Billy Connely stuff, he's even nicked some of Victoria Woods baselines.
Style. Posh comics in a suit? C'mon, lots and lots. Even Julian Clary (Not mentioned on here so far, yet a superb comic)
And Eddie Izzard, well sometimes in a suit and sometimes as a woman...but again not mentioned here and a master of the art. I can never stop laughing at "Star Wars Canteen"....especially the Lego version of it on YouTube.

....and don't forget good comic but better writer.....Ben Elton. And Alexie Sayle for that matter.

Member for

15 years 11 months

In 1967 top comedians such as Tony Hancock and Harry Secombe were sent out to entertain us at RAF Khormaksar and other Aden bases - it was very good for morale and the shows were much appreciated. Surprisingly, myself and most of my RAF colleagues reckoned that the best one of all was the one most of us couldn't stand - Bob Monkhouse!

Contrary to expectations he was extremely funny throughout and knew exactly what the troops wanted. A true professional.

Regards.....Paul

Member for

13 years 9 months

And I'll go along with them all, many of whom I have already mentioned anyway, with the exception of David Jason, who bores me to tears whatever he's doing and Lee Hurst whom I don't know well enough to rate.

Peter, I don't know how you can say you don't like David Jason an icon if ever there was one he took me right back to my childhood days in the Darling Buds Of May, as Pa Larkin, in my opinion it was "PERFIC"

Lincoln .7;)

Member for

19 years 11 months

....Surprisingly, myself and most of my RAF colleagues reckoned that the best one of all was the one most of us couldn't stand - Bob Monkhouse!

Contrary to expectations he was extremely funny throughout and knew exactly what the troops wanted. A true professional.

Oh, yes. He was an excellent stand-up.

Very clever, very quick, and a ruthless way of despatching hecklers with a single sentence.

I do have to say, though, that I think he will be better remembered as a writer.

Peter, I don't know how you can say you don't like David Jason an icon if ever there was one...

Because he doesn't think that David Jason is very funny, perhaps?

An opinion that I happen to share.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Because he doesn't think that David Jason is very funny, perhaps?

An opinion that I happen to share.

Hit the nail on the head, GA, but perhaps Linc 7 reckons you should love them just because they are "an icon". Ronnie Barker might fall into that category, although the use of the word "icon" is open to interpretation in every case to which it is applied.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I may be wrong, (According to GA I mostly am) but I should have made it clearer. David Jason is definately no comedian, but I.M.H.O. he is a brilliant ACTOR, so therefor change the word comic to actor.
If we all agreed to everything posted, how boring it would be, certainly beats arguing with the wife,:D

Lincoln .7:diablo:

Member for

14 years 5 months

Dead right, Linc, but it was your comment on my post which resulted in the last few posts.;);)

And just to clarify the point I do NOT regard Jason as anything other than a fairly good actor like a few thousand other members of his profession. For my money Ronnie Barker was a fine character actor.

Member for

16 years 7 months

I have to agree with an earlier post, best ever 'proper' comedian to appear on TV has to be Dave Allen.
I say proper as many of the others that I know of are comedy actors which is a slightly different thing, I think Tony Hancock was a genius, but I would definitely class him as a comedy actor/writer and not a comedian.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Particularly if you were unfortunate enough to witness his few "solo" performances. For a devotee like me it was deeply saddening.:(

Member for

15 years 11 months

Sorry Chaps to ruffle your feathers! but I like Ricky Gervias:)

Member for

13 years 4 months

For me its Dave Allen,Bob Monkhouse,Jasper Carrott and more recently Jack Dee and Lee Evans away from standup Ronnie Barker as Arkwright was genius "ggggranville fetch your cloth"

Member for

14 years 5 months

Sorry Chaps to ruffle your feathers! but I like Ricky Gervias:)

You are not ruffling mine.........;):D

Member for

14 years

It was a brave move of Carrot to do that family sitcom 2 years ago, with the disabled kid in the wheelchair.
It was relatively good, watchable. But probably too intellectual for the requirements of the canned laughter/ 30 seconds concentration span audiences which constitute to the viewing figs.

Fly Girl....who is the Actress in your Avatar thingy? Sure I've seen her on TV.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Fly Girl....who is the Actress in your Avatar thingy? Sure I've seen her on TV.

I think that's Fly Girl herself, actually.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Also saw Ken Dodd there too, another 2 hour show.....now he really did split your sides, with mostly clean humour.

You were short changed - or did you leave because you'd booked a taxi.

I saw him in Wolverhampton, my parents were due to see him, but my mom was off colour and rather than waste the tickets, I went with my dad, not sure what to expect. Doddy started off by telling the audience to cancell any booked taxis, as he didn't intend finishing by ten, it was gone twelve by the time he finished and had me laughing for most of the time, if anyone gets a chance to see him live - go!

As to US (musical) comics, a couple that I like are Tom Lehrer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPhFSlhOuQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3VpvkAd0E

and Spike Jones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvt4b_qwC_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlFBSRrSR0