Cyclists with cameras

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

Haha! You know me too well, Lance. :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

I'll have to come over there for a beer or several, and soon at that!

Member for

13 years 9 months

Always considered myself a patient courteous driver,until i had the misfortune to drive through our grand capital.
What amazed me was the total disregard for the rules of the road cyclists had.
Cutting in and out of traffic,ignoring red lights and pedestrian crossings.
I did have one bang on the van because i wanted to turn left,i knew he was there gave him plenty of warning,i even stopped to let him past.
But no the chinless wonder still had a go.
And don't even get me started on the Mobility scooters.
Why do they have to go quicker than waking pace on the pavement beats me.

I can sympathise with you on the mobility scooters, and am at the age myself whereby many would be unfortunate to have to use these vehicles, however, I have a wall all round my house. which ends at the footpath, and when I reverse my car out of the driveway, I am well into the road with the rear of my car before I can see who or what is on the footpath, and the mobility scooters are lethal, having been hit by one, and causing a lot of damage to my car I think they should be confined to the road.
In the recent case of those, (Cannot remember their name) but you stand on them upright and hold onto what I would call handle bars, have been classed as motor vehicles and banned from the footpaths, then surly the mobility scooters fall into the same catagory.

Lincoln . 7

Member for

14 years 4 months

i think the scrape down the side was perfectly reasonable seeing as i was doing about 15mph and he cut into me after deliberately overtaking to cut in just before the corner

and no you wouldn't you'd look exceedingly stupid spitting your jacobs out just after you got out !!

what other options were left but to bang on the side he was shouting loud enough

and in a van in that situation the only way the driver will probably hear is by doing so

i'd certainly prefer that if it was my van rather than putting someone in hospital

but then logic doesn't come into it when you can't get past the mindset it's only a metal box eventualy it will be a metal cube like 95% of them

No, its not reasonable. Its about as reasonable as thumping someone, like that idiot van driver did. That's the point.

Logic? Logic says that if you see you're going to hit something, then whoever's in the wrong, just stop. Logic doesn't suggest acting like a retarded lemming and running into something deliberately. Most of us stop doing that shortly after learning to walk.

I will admit I am defensive of my "metal box". The reason being its a possesion I enjoy. Why should I allow you to damage it without me inflicting similar damage to your bike? As I said earlier, if I just wandered up and kicked your bike to get your attention, what would be your reaction?

Member for

13 years 11 months

I'll ask again and hopefully you'll answer rather than being evasive. Could the cyclist have done anything to prevent this incident from happening?

it is not possible to say 100% maybe maybe not it still does not excuse the van drivers behaviour

we can but tell the traffics manouvers to that it is obvious who is at fault

but when taking cameras into account there is a possibilty of lens distortions
that can and do alter perspective of distace

a wide angle lens gives the impression of greater distances away from things

yet realy close things seem to be in your face

but not only that we also cannot see fully the road surface

so who are we to comment ???

once you ride in the gutter you have run out of evasion space on your left

good job he had left some isn't it with that moron driving !!

the first thing i was taught about bike riding both on and off road cycle and motorcycle was to always leave a saftey area to go into on the left

you'll never know when it'll be needed

that is why other evidence and statements would have been considered too

distance perception distorted through wide angle lens

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/media/600x600/74/aerospatiale-as-350-027.jpg

Member for

18 years 7 months

There's no lens distortion in the video, at least not enough to dramatically change the perspective.

I have to say, it seems it's you who only wants to see this from one side. The cyclist could very clearly have easily moved out of the way and yet you have no interest in acknowledging that fact. Why is that?

Lance, let me know when you feel like popping over for a beverage or six. Be good to catch up. :)

Member for

13 years 11 months

if I just wandered up and kicked your bike to get your attention, what would be your reaction?

if i was riding like a t**t i would expect it and deserve it !!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wonder if it was more of a case of the cyclist deliberately riding into the side of the van/thumping the side of the van, then pleading he was struck?

If the cyclist had been riding a little less aggressively and a little more defensively, he would have considered that the van, being bigger and faster than him (and being ahead as they reached the junction) may just have been given priority. But no, the cyclist appears to speed up in order to remain on the inside (and possibly in the van drivers blindspot) and then screams "Keep right" at a vehicle, in a town, with it's windows closed, with the possibility the driver had a radio playing.
He ramped up the possibility of a confrontation by doing this rather than slow down and ride sensibly for whatever reason ( I suspect the wearing of the helmet cam encouraged him to ride in a manner which would lead to some confrontation with a motorist).

I've ridden my bike on busy roads and as a result I treat cyclists with the sort of respect I'd like drivers to show me when I'm on two wheels. If they ride like an idiot with a death wish, I will make sure they know it...

Member for

18 years 7 months

Bob, that's exactly what I tried to say back in reply 43. It's like he actively went looking for a confrontation, and that's the only way I can attempt to explain the way he seemingly purposely rides so close to the van and then bangs on the side of it rather than keeping both hands on the handlebars, keeping full control of his bike and simply moving out of the way.

What he's doing and how he's behaving just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Member for

13 years 11 months

There's no lens distortion in the video, at least not enough to dramatically change the perspective.

I have to say, it seems it's you who only wants to see this from one side. The cyclist could very clearly have easily moved out of the way and yet you have no interest in acknowledging that fact. Why is that?

Lance, let me know when you feel like popping over for a beverage or six. Be good to catch up. :)

maybe he could move , but could a blind pedestrian etc that the driver would have probably shown the same contempt to

i would be the first to call the cyclist if he was at fault

the van driver was an **** as it clearly shows

if the cyclist had moved further out id probably accept to some degree

the van driver was a pr*/k full stop

if you think there are hazards in the road you drive accordingly

i have driven trucks in london and yes a percentage of cyclists are a nuiscence

but " he was a little to far out !" will not cut as a defence if you squash someones head under your tyres !!

Member for

18 years 7 months

Don't wrestle with a pig. You both get covered in s*** and the pig enjoys it.

I actually laughed out loud at that! Nice saying.

Tornado, I've made my points, as have others. You do as you will, but I'll stick to the logical idea of staying out of the way of things with engines that weigh more than me.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I actually laughed out loud at that! Nice saying.

Tornado, I've made my points, as have others. You do as you will, but I'll stick to the logical idea of staying out of the way of things with engines that weigh more than me.

How many of you went to the national bike show in London 12 to 15th Jan this year???:D

Quickly ducks out of the way of incoming :D

Lincoln .7

:diablo:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Lincoln 7, I didn't but what's the relevance of that? :confused:

Member for

14 years 4 months

Not me. I'll confess.

I haven't been able to ride a bike since an op about five years ago. To be honest I really miss it. I've thought about getting one of those recumbent trike things, but they're even less visible than your average bike, so decided not to.

Member for

24 years 2 months

.......so who are we to comment ???

Quite true! Now seeing that you appear to be in a minority of one, how about stopping?

Or perhaps you could share with us your views on the ethics of flower pressing? ;)

Regards,

kev35

Member for

13 years 9 months

Lincoln 7, I didn't but what's the relevance of that? :confused:

Absolutely S*D all!! but I thought it would make somewon rise up and take the fly:D

Lincoln .7

Member for

18 years 8 months

Touché
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Member for

13 years 9 months

Not me. I'll confess.

I haven't been able to ride a bike since an op about five years ago. To be honest I really miss it. I've thought about getting one of those recumbent trike things, but they're even less visible than your average bike, so decided not to.

Now c;mon Graham. they are quite safe, I cant understand you not wanting one as they are so low, you would literately get run over, run over being the operative words, as the vehicle would just go over the top of you!! go for it:D

Lincoln .7
:diablo:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Absolutely S*D all!! but I thought it would make somewon rise up and take the fly:D

Lincoln .7

Sneaky! :D

Member for

18 years 8 months

Sneaky! :D

What do you expect from a yeller belly......lol:diablo: