Falklands Remembered

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-04-02 AT 11:03 PM (GMT)]Tonight 2/4/2001 I watched a programme about the Falklands conflict. It was 20 years to the day that the Argentinians invaded the Falklands. Although the residents do not celebrate this day, as they celebrate the liberation day , the military in the islands have re dedicated the memorial cairns on the island for the men lost there. Could I please ask you to spare a thought and a quite moment for the men lost there. Both for the British fallen (we shall remember them) and for the Argentinians who lost their lives for they were someones love ones too and after all they were young boys under orders too.

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Falklands Remembered

Agreed. :(

Member for

24 years 3 months

a terrible conflict that should never have happened.

the paper is now saying we couldn't do the smae thing agian due to the sea harreir withdrawal.

im currently reading Sharkey Ward's "Sea Harrier over the falkland" - a truely great book showing how important training is and the stupidity of our high comannd :-)

on AFM i had an in depth discussion with heechee (i think) - he is an argentine suport. i was trying to find out the argentine reeasoning behind thier cliam but i remmain in favour of the islanders deciding.

Rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sometimes is really sad, how some ditator, "macho" style tries to hold power starting a risky and stupid militar adventure, which only leads to disaster and senseless loss of lives. May all of them rest in peace. Did both parts take any benefit from this?. Only stupidity and loss of life.

Member for

24 years 3 months

and all to direct peoples attention away from problems at home i think(for the argentine side of things)

I also watched the program, and it is slightly, well i dont know what the word is... to think my father actually had his feet on the sir galahad and was called off it by his warrant officer he was in the Royal medical corps, maybe only the TA division, but still.........

I think the program was particularly informative and there was lots of ootage I had never seen before on their.

rabie, i have read sharkeys book twice and the high commands actions were absolutley infuriating before and after operation corporate, i dont think i could have stood the problems that sharkey, and his evidently more experienced and confident squadron and the ship he was serving on had to suffer. just think if he hadnt been quite so pigheaded...........

if i recall there is a section in there which describes an operation similar to which the navy appears to wants to do now, and that is use ship and rotor borne assets to patrol out to a greater range because they couldnt get the radar coverage, and had to withdraw to the extreme range of the shars fuel because they were open to attack when the shars were on deck, and over the islands on ops, i remember there being a bit of a hoo har about this because of the logistics of it, that and the valuable asset the shars proved to be when they went looking for the argentine carrier, and her support force, if the harriers had have been on station instead of transiting or being out of range, the galahad in my opinion would not have been struck, and air cover could have been provided for the two ships which sailed into teal inlet<?> and were again hit, because there was no aircover, and were not able to defend themselves adequately.

but then what would i know about that??

yes......hindsight is an exceptional piece of kit to have aboard.

coanda

Member for

24 years 3 months

"hindsight is an exceptional piece of kit to have aboard"

YUP !

only half way hrough the book at the moment

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

That book is Brilliant - i read it on my hols a couple of years back - not a glory trail - shows the stick sharkey got for some of his actions from those above him.

HMS Conqueror

Three cheers for the HMS Conqueror. I owe them all a drink.

elp
usa

Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3cafc26562b0518a.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

MY SON SERVED WITH 45 COMMANDO ON THE FALKLANDS AND STILL SAYS FOR WHAT? HE WAS ON THE YOMP TO STANLEY AND CAN STILL NOT UNDERSTAND WHY GOOD PEOPLE DIED FOR A POLITICAL REASON.KEPT MAGGIE THATCHER IN POWER FOR A FEW MORE YEARS.FUNNY NEVER HERE OF THE FALKLANDS NOW!

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-04-02 AT 08:48 PM (GMT)]I dont know why either that we had to lose so many men for a political battle. All our men really died for was so that we (the British) could have a victory on our hands. Also Maggie Thatcher was out to make even more of a name for herself and knew that a victory would lead to her getting in on the next election which it did but before that she really would have been out on her backside.

I can understand why your son feels bitter by this as he may have seen a few friends go down in the battle etc. But since I was in the army and came out I cant quite get why some soldiers say they wonder what it was all for.

I just wonder why they joined in the first place. The answer why what was it for is simple. Because its our job this is what we do. We train for months on end getting slogged into the ground and then we march halfway across the world and then they stick you in some war that you dont even understand why you should be fighting it. And after these wars you find that your typhoid injection or what ever it is could actually end up killing you. but hey your in the army now and its your job. The sad thing is our soldiers have to go into battle regardless of politics and generally they are for political reason and not in the name of defence.

regards Merlin

The Falklands was a good decision. Where do you draw the line when someone takes something from you? Even if it's an out of the way place most laypeople have never heard of.

Member for

24 years 3 months

i was wastching a tv prog last night about the retirement of Noland i think it was called an d a guy on their sed, it wasn't for the people of the British isles, it was for the people of the falklands who we're holders of British passports, and they had the right to a free and democratic beurocracy, and as members of our country they had just as much a right as anyone else to have their position upheld.

Member for

24 years 3 months

the falklands wasnt just political, because the same thing happens with anyone, it was just more so because it was british territory. the falklanders wanted to be under british rule so we kept it, the forces did a brilliant job doing what they did, and whilst some of it was luck- like phoning up port stanley from a telephone! allot of it was sheer british military training.

there is another post on the mil av forum about what could have happenned if the argies fused their bombs correctly- well i think we would have had to have brough the carrier group closer, or pulled the task force shipping out during the day time- or suffered un recoverable losses- in that area we were very lucky!

the aerial fighting, which is what I know most about, was kinda one sided, i feel, there wasnt a great deal of competition ofr the british- which is no slight against the argentinian air force because they carried out many dangerous, low level attacks against shipping and were operating for the great part, at the limits of their range. this greatly reduced their chances to mix with the harriers, and perhaps show themselves better.

it is also said that the islands and geography down that way are also home to large deposits of diamonds, oil natural gas, and precious minerals.........somthing you would want to keep tabs on???

coanda